Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to agree to Terms and Conditions after resetting MacBook Pro and reinstalling Catalina

I am gifting my older MacBook to my husband and after resetting and erasing the HD and reinstalling Catalina --which is the OS it was running -- he signs in using his iCloud account and it wants him to read and agree to Terms and Conditions and the agree button is greyed out. No way to move forward. Going back asks to enter iCloud ID again. Tried signing him out of iCloud on other device(s) with no change. I have read several posts where the situation doesn't apply. How to move forward with this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 4:55 PM

After posting this I found a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkh2VJECHo that showed what was happening. Said this is a new issue and the workaround is to skip the iCloud sign in step and complete the setup. Afterwards log into iCloud and you can then successfully agree to the terms and conditions. Hope this helps someone else.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 4:55 PM in response to heschoone

After posting this I found a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkh2VJECHo that showed what was happening. Said this is a new issue and the workaround is to skip the iCloud sign in step and complete the setup. Afterwards log into iCloud and you can then successfully agree to the terms and conditions. Hope this helps someone else.

Dec 29, 2022 11:45 AM in response to heschoone

Hello heschoone,

We'd start by isolating this behavior further. You can do this with safe mode on the Mac. Here's how:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.

3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”

4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.

2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 

3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Navigating in safe mode is slower than a normal boot. Safe mode runs a check on the disk and prevents some software/extensions from running to help isolate issues.

After attempting to sign in to iCloud in safe mode restart the Mac normally and continue testing it out.

Should it persist, did you scroll all through the terms and conditions to the very bottom? Do you have other users on the Mac? If so, are you able to sign in to iCloud successfully in another user? Did you or your husband restore any content to the Mac, from a backup? That may give us more insight into the issue.

Hoping this helps out, take care.

Unable to agree to Terms and Conditions after resetting MacBook Pro and reinstalling Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.