You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple iPad Air 2 Not supported by Apple anymore and get update I have just taken over my partners old one as I bought him a new one and it doesn’t want to update to 16

Is Apple iPad Air two not supported by Apple anymore I am using my partners old one as I bought him a new one and it won’t update till 16 does it mean I can’t use it anymore

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 4:41 PM

The iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.2. The Air2 does not support iPadOS 16.x.

While the iPad Air2 cannot be updated to iPadOS16.x, this model remains fully usable with the vast majority of available Apps. At this time, iPadOS15 continues to receive security “point” updates - although we have no idea how long these will continue.

The iPad Air2, released in 2014, is now very much in the twilight of system software update support. Apple typically provide system software updates for five to seven years. Many major software developers support the current and previous one or two major versions; for example, YouTube and other mainstream Google Apps currently require iOS/iPadOS14 or later. Other Developers may provide ongoing support for more versions.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.6

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.2

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.2

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2022 4:41 PM in response to Shabishop

The iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.2. The Air2 does not support iPadOS 16.x.

While the iPad Air2 cannot be updated to iPadOS16.x, this model remains fully usable with the vast majority of available Apps. At this time, iPadOS15 continues to receive security “point” updates - although we have no idea how long these will continue.

The iPad Air2, released in 2014, is now very much in the twilight of system software update support. Apple typically provide system software updates for five to seven years. Many major software developers support the current and previous one or two major versions; for example, YouTube and other mainstream Google Apps currently require iOS/iPadOS14 or later. Other Developers may provide ongoing support for more versions.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.6

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.2

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.2

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Is Apple iPad Air 2 Not supported by Apple anymore and get update I have just taken over my partners old one as I bought him a new one and it doesn’t want to update to 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.