Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro charging port

I just replaced my IPad Pro 12.9 3rd generation because the charging port (I assume) no longer worked. When I charged the battery, the battery worked fine. After several weeks of problems with recharging the iPad, it finally quit. My husband had the same problem with his pro a few months ago and we had to replace that iPad also. Upon further investigation I see this is a reoccurring problem with the USB-C ports. And the only thing you can do is buy another iPad. You can’t even trade it in. My iPad was barely 3 years old. If this is a product issue, why isn’t Apple trying to fix it or at least allowing trade-ins?

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 8:02 AM

Issues with the iPad USB-C ports are not frequently reported here. If you are experiencing repeated issues with multiple devices, this might suggest either a problem with the USB-C cables that you are using - or a potential handling problem.

Are you using USB-C cables of Apple origin - or other third-party certified USB-C cables? Uncertified cables, often cheaper than properly certified cables, are unlikely to meet the stringent electrical and physical connector specifications - and can cause damage.

As for handling issues, while USB-C sockets are relatively robust, they still require some care with connecting and disconnecting cables - ensuring that once correctly aligned, connectors are inserted or removed squarely without undue lateral pressure.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 8:02 AM in response to Yakkaboom

Issues with the iPad USB-C ports are not frequently reported here. If you are experiencing repeated issues with multiple devices, this might suggest either a problem with the USB-C cables that you are using - or a potential handling problem.

Are you using USB-C cables of Apple origin - or other third-party certified USB-C cables? Uncertified cables, often cheaper than properly certified cables, are unlikely to meet the stringent electrical and physical connector specifications - and can cause damage.

As for handling issues, while USB-C sockets are relatively robust, they still require some care with connecting and disconnecting cables - ensuring that once correctly aligned, connectors are inserted or removed squarely without undue lateral pressure.

Dec 29, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Yakkaboom

The charging port stopped working completely?

Are you using The Apple USB-C Charging Cable and Charging Brick? (Many 3rd party cables / bricks exists, some can actually damage devices)

I would visit The Genius Bar, Apple has Genius Bar programs where they cover devices that might stop working properly (ie. Butterfly Keyboard). The Genius Bar Technician can tell you if your iPad Pro is covered under one of these programs.

iPad Pro charging port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.