Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity camera not working *wirelessly*

I'm connecting iphone XR as continuity camera to mac mini. When I open Facetime, my iphone is not shown in the "video list" to select as the camera device.

Some tests/facts:

1. Iphone is XR, updated to IOS 16.2
  2. Mac mini is updated to MacOS 13.1 (and it's just bought yesterday, Latest model)
  3. Continuity Camera works only if I connect them by wire -- but not working wirelessly.
  4. Followed all your requirements:

4.1 turned of cellular data in iphone

4.2 mac and iphone close enough (they stick with each other)

4.3 signed in with the same apple id and two-factor autherization

4.4 bluetooth and wifi turned on on both devices

4.5 iphone AirPlay & Handsoff turned on

4.6 iphone not sharing cellular data, mac not sharing internet connection

4.7 mac not using airplay or Sidecar

Maybe a useful observation: Iphone and Mac cannot pair by bluetooth. On iphone it says "Pairing unsuccessful, the mac is not supported" (Could this be the reason? What does this mean??)

Thanks!

Kushan

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 5:16 AM

With a Mac mini, which doesn't have a built in webcam, your iPhone needs to meet following requirements in order to be automatically switch the camera to iPhone

Your Mac can automatically switch to using iPhone as a camera input for certain Mac apps, like FaceTime and PhotoBooth. To do this, your iPhone must:

• Be close to your Mac
  • Have its screen locked
  • Be in landscape orientation
  • Have its rear camera or cameras facing you and be unobstructed
  • Not be in a pocket or lying flat on a desk
  • Be stationary

If you’ve used your iPhone as a webcam on your Mac before, other Mac apps may also remember it as the preferred camera.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 5:16 AM in response to kushan2022

With a Mac mini, which doesn't have a built in webcam, your iPhone needs to meet following requirements in order to be automatically switch the camera to iPhone

Your Mac can automatically switch to using iPhone as a camera input for certain Mac apps, like FaceTime and PhotoBooth. To do this, your iPhone must:

• Be close to your Mac
  • Have its screen locked
  • Be in landscape orientation
  • Have its rear camera or cameras facing you and be unobstructed
  • Not be in a pocket or lying flat on a desk
  • Be stationary

If you’ve used your iPhone as a webcam on your Mac before, other Mac apps may also remember it as the preferred camera.

Continuity camera not working *wirelessly*

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.