Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple make a Lightning to USB-C adapter?

I have an Apogee Jam which I used with my old iPad (Lightning port). Now I have a new iPad Mini (USB-C port). Does anyone know if Apple makes a Lightning to USB-C adapter? The Lightning end should be female and the USB-C end male. Thanks, Tom

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 7:21 AM

No. Apple does not offer a Lightning to USB-C Adapter.

Your existing Lightning accessories are incompatible with - and cannot be connected to - iPad models that feature a USB-C port. The industry standard USB-C port of your iPad mini6 and Apple’s proprietary Lightning interface are completely different and are not inter-workable.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 7:21 AM in response to Ballyfermot

No. Apple does not offer a Lightning to USB-C Adapter.

Your existing Lightning accessories are incompatible with - and cannot be connected to - iPad models that feature a USB-C port. The industry standard USB-C port of your iPad mini6 and Apple’s proprietary Lightning interface are completely different and are not inter-workable.

Dec 31, 2022 3:32 AM in response to Ballyfermot

If you have a standard USB Type-A cable, the most useful adapter to make the connection - and simultaneously charge the iPad using your standard Power Adapter - would be an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

You might alternatively consider a compatible third-party USB-C hub - that incorporates a number of alternative ports. Perhaps consider Kingston, Anker, Hyperdrive and Satechi - although there are many others from which to choose. A Google Search for USB-C Hubs compatible with iPad will find a number of articles and recommendations. 

Speaking of personal experience, the Kingston Nucleum has proven itself to be particularly flexible for connection of various USB devices - featuring twin USB3.1 Type-A, downstream USB-C and SD/microSD card slots, HDMI, plus a power pass-through USB-C port that can accept +45W from a suitable USB power source.

Dec 31, 2022 2:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for that. I think you may have also answered a follow up question that I had in mind which is this: If there’s no Lightning to USB-C adapter, I was wondering about a USB-A to USB-C adapter instead. I believe Apogee Jam also comes with a basic USB cable intended for use with the Mac. If I could acquire this cable and then get an adapter (USB-A to USB-C) I wonder if it would work with my iPad Mini 6. Just a thought.

Dec 31, 2022 11:21 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you very much. I really appreciate all this information. It makes me think that I might be able to use my old Apogee Jam unit after all (I was about ready to give up on it). I may have lost or discarded my original USB cable that came in the box as it was designed to be used with a Mac and I only ever used Apogee Jam with my old iPad, but I might be able to pick up one somewhere. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Dec 31, 2022 12:45 PM in response to Ballyfermot

Be aware that unless there is a specific App for iPad that provides specific functionality for your Apogee Jam, being able to make a USB connection between it and the iPad may have limited (if any) usefulness.

Many USB devices require a device driver. Other than installing an explicit manufacturer-supplied App for the device via the Apple App Store, iOS/iPadOS has no facility to independently install device driver software.

In short, if there’s “an App for that”, making connection to your Apogee Jam may have some benefit - otherwise, don’t be surprised if your effort comes to nothing.

Does Apple make a Lightning to USB-C adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.