Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer goes offline after ventura update

My hardware is a MacMini with OS Ventura 13.1 operating wirelessly with my printer (HP Envy 5546 all in one printer/scanner). I cannot print a document as the printer is shown as "Offline". I would like to know if there is a simple procedure to make my printer "online". I have checked that the printer and computer are operating on the same network, also I have only this one printer on my network.

Thanks to Old Toad for suggestion re how to make the question clearer.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 8:08 PM

Try this:

Make sure the HP Envy 5546 is connected to Ethernet / WiFi

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Support

Then go to the Mac App Store and install HP Smart which adds drivers for many HP Printers.

Add the printer back and test.

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 30, 2022 5:27 AM in response to James Brickley

Thank you James. My printer is functioning again. It was helpful to include your third instruction ie to use the Mac App Store to install HP Smart. (I had earlier tried to install updates from the HP site but Apple blocked the "HP Easy Start" software; see below). So the HP Smart route was very useful. I have done the test print and subsequent important documents from various apps on my MacMini, eg Preview, LibreOffice etc and they all printed as required. Well done James.

Feb 8, 2023 11:17 AM in response to James Brickley

Hi James!

I have same issue since upgrading to Ventura; printer says "offline" since. (also says ink low but cartridges are full, having been replaced last month & printer only used a few times/month. I checked and ink is to the top in each so this is another red flag that the upgrade did something screwy with my printer)

It's a Brother MFC-J24420DW...Would I also go to Mac App Store (not sure where to find that but will google it) & search for my printer after I reset the printing system on my MBP? Tks!

Feb 8, 2023 12:51 PM in response to Lynnster52

Lynnster just ignore the step (suggested by James) to access the Apple App Store as it was suggested to download the HP Smart app. This step helped me as my printer is a HP Envy printer. As your printer is a Brother you may need to seek help on the Brother website. My problem was resolved in the end by utilising the help available on the HP site (plus the HP Smart app). I have now been clear of the dreaded "printer offline" warning. The advice from James certainly helped me to return to sanity.

Feb 8, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Lynnster52

The Brother support page doesn't provide a driver for macOS Ventura (yet). They still only list Monterey printer drivers. The printer is not on the list of Ventura 13 supported Brother printers.

The Brother MFC-J24420DW appears to be supported by AirPrint. Therefore, you may not need a traditional driver. I would attempt the Printing Reset procedure mentioned previously. Make sure the printer is connected to Ethernet / Wi-Fi and then re-add the printer. Also the printer firmware was last updated in 2020. If your firmware version is old it is recommended that you update the firmware.

Brother MFC-J24420DW Support Page:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/producttop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj4420dw_us_eu

Feb 8, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Lynnster52

Well, I reset my printer using above instructions & found my my printer in a list, then had to "choose driver" which was either "auto" (didn't work) or a drop down where one selects the printer model to add it back. Was touch and go until I realized I had to scroll to find my model number (no instructions or help icon). Finally figured that out & selected the CUPS listed for my model #. Each time I clicked "add" I kept getting "an error occurred while trying to add the selected device".

Tried several times then had to answer door for appt.

An hour later, I tried one last time to "add" printer & this time it went right thru!

Just printed! But ink supply levels still screwy, now showing 2 inks full (correct) but "can't detect levels" for the other 2 colors (both are full). But as long as it prints...

Tks!

Feb 8, 2023 1:48 PM in response to James Brickley

James - you are wonderful!

The "printing reset" procedure worked & I see that it's"Air Print", driver version 3.0. My old driver was 4.x.x, so does this mean I need to update driver or would Air Print have installed the latest version of their driver?

3.0 could be latest for AirPrint.

I don't think I've ever updated my Brother printer's firmware. Unless it's set to update automatially. Again, I'm clueless about all of this..)

Tks for your help!

Lynn

printer goes offline after ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.