Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to setup a new Mac Studio with your data from a 2014 iMac?

I’m about to receive a new Mac Studio to get a slight bump in computing power from my old late 2014 iMac 🤓

Most of my data is in the cloud except for iMovie files - 700gb.

Is it ok to transfer via cable using Apples data transfer method? I used this method when I updated my 2009 iMac to the 2014 and the Apple method worked perfectly.

however this time there seem to be a few quirks with 2014 and wondered if it might be better to stick with clean install on the new Mac Studio and manually transfer the files? And reinstall the apps I need?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 3:01 PM

5 replies

Dec 30, 2022 9:45 PM in response to Ian Adkins

OK, basically I have 2 replies each suggesting 1 of the 2 options I outlined.

An article in MacWorld years ago suggested the best was to use Setup Assistant but not to transfer the Apps.

I'm inclined to follow WheelieNick's advice of a fresh setup and do the transfer manually because of the quirks I have in emails and install the app anew. The iCloud email is fine in the cloud but my local ISP email is not.

What is the best way to setup a new Mac Studio with your data from a 2014 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.