Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a software update is required to restore your iphone

We have found this warning to never install and will also brick the iPhone or iPad. Cannot restore by bypassing either. We see this in macOS and Configurator

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 5:01 PM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Matthew_Hegge

I see this too, and have for a couple months. The only difference is that my phone doesn't get bricked, and I have no actual problem doing things over the tethered connection, so the warning appears to be bogus.

The Apple KB article says, "You might see this message if the software on your Mac needs to be updated to support the newer software on your iPhone or iPad." So it sounds as if the new software is destined to be installed on the Mac, not the iPhone, but is still failing.

The sequence of operations I always see are:

Plug the USB cable between the phone and the Mac. Immediately see this:

Click Install. Get this box:

At the same time, my iPhone asks me if I want to "trust this computer," and I tap in my open code.

Then I get:

...quickly followed by...

I'm running the latest update of Monterey, so there should be no reason that I should need to update my software for this to work. (It also failed before Ventura was released, so at that time it was Apple's newest software.) My phone is an 8+.

Jan 2, 2023 2:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

No joy.

I had a devil of a time getting into Safe Mode, trying both the laptop's own KB and then a USB KB. When it wouldn't even respond to the PRAM zap sequence, I recalled I had established a FW password (to allow the unit to boot from an external some time past), so I disabled that. Then I was able to boot into Safe Mode.

But apparently Safe Mode also disables the mechanism that mounts the iPhone to your finder sidebar, because it didn't show up and I didn't get any of the dialog boxes. I established that the tether cable still functioned fine by importing some photos over it, but none of the "higher functions" were enabled in Safe Mode.

So I rebooted into normal mode to see if the absence of the FW password would solve the "can't install software" problem. But it still failed. So Safe Mode isn't a useful diagnostic or amelioration.

FTR, I don't run any AV or anything else that would obviously hinder this function.

a software update is required to restore your iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.