Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Apple Programs not functioning properly since update to Ventura 13.1

The MacBook Pro M1 keyboard (nor my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard) function properly in the non-Apple programs: Thunderbird and eM Client. Of course, it works fine with the Apple email client. They both worked fine just moments before. Could it be that Apple does not like (business-wise) non-Apple programs?

Within the body of the text of an email one cannot use the spacebar to act like a spacebar and move the curse one space. The only way to do it is to use Shift+spacebar. The tab no longer stays in the text box but moves to the different fields starting at the very top of the program from close to minimize and on through all of the different frames much like navigating an old BIOS.

Is there a solution? A work-around? Saying just use the Apple stuff is not a valid answer.

I do not know what else is affected thus far as I have wasted so much time and effort going through all of the keyboard settings and double checking all of the newly changed settings (shades of Microsoft).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 4:35 AM

A-washed_with_useless_data wrote: one cannot use the spacebar to act like a spacebar and move the curse one space. The only way to do it is to use Shift+spacebar.

This problem has been addressed in these forums many times. It is normally caused by the user's machine having Full Keyboard Access turned on by mistake. Go to your Accessibility settings and make sure it is turned OFF.

Let us know if that helps.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 4:35 AM in response to A-washed_with_useless_data

A-washed_with_useless_data wrote: one cannot use the spacebar to act like a spacebar and move the curse one space. The only way to do it is to use Shift+spacebar.

This problem has been addressed in these forums many times. It is normally caused by the user's machine having Full Keyboard Access turned on by mistake. Go to your Accessibility settings and make sure it is turned OFF.

Let us know if that helps.

Dec 30, 2022 4:19 AM in response to A-washed_with_useless_data

Perhaps the developers of those simple non-Apple programs or products are not sufficiently motivated to keep up with macOS upgrades.

Apple typically gives developers prerelease macOS versions at least six months in advance so that they can prepare for when their customers upgrade macOS. I suggest that you contact them for support: Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2022 2:27 AM in response to A-washed_with_useless_data

A-washed_with_useless_data wrote:

The MacBook Pro M1 keyboard (nor my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard) function properly in the non-Apple programs: Thunderbird and eM Client. Of course, it works fine with the Apple email client. They both worked fine just moments before.

Thunderbird 102.6.1 runs fine under Ventura 13.1. I can't speak about eM Client since i've never used it.

Could it be that Apple does not like (business-wise) non-Apple programs?

Not very likely since the vast majority of apps in the App Store are non-Apple apps, along with the vast majority of apps that aren't in the App Store that run on Macs.

Dec 30, 2022 3:09 AM in response to A-washed_with_useless_data

Could it be that Apple does not like (business-wise) non-Apple programs?

Apple has nearly zero interest in non-Apple programs. They offer copious documentation and plenty of unpaid technical support regarding developing for macOS, but it's up to developers to actually abide by them and use those resources effectively. There are many superbly written non-Apple programs, but they are a distinct minority.

Most developers of those superb non-Apple programs are not interested in any other platform. They don't have the time. Merely keeping up with macOS's frequent updates and upgrades is literally a full time job.

Saying just use the Apple stuff is not a valid answer.

The answer is that developers intending to distribute products intended for Apple products need to do things the Apple way. Using cross-platform development products are usually an indication they're not doing things the Apple way.

Dec 30, 2022 4:04 AM in response to John Galt

Aside from the Apple liking or not discussion, let us tend to the actual problem.

My comment about the Apple ecosystem stems from my long relationship with the Microsoft and the immense distrust starting with Windows 8, then 8.1, (no wonder they skipped 9) and the last straw being 10. That is why I moved to Apple.

So now that that is out of the way. Why did the update screw with my non-Apple simple programs. They did not change the keyboard action. Something in this update did. I mean it is a simple keyboard; they have been used in computers since what the 60s, or earlier? Did Apple decide that something there needed to change? And if not then what is different. My non-Apple browsers all work just fine; as does my password manager - all gotten from their own sites and not through the Apple store.

Non-Apple Programs not functioning properly since update to Ventura 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.