Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come the updated apple operating systems are stopping the apps for the products i have form working, it is 4 now that don't work

It is 4 apps now that don't work on the iSO operating system and the Mac desktop operating system that don't for the products i have, it started with iSO 16 And Ventura, 4 products i have are useless because of this, most say they plane on doing nothing with them so the products are junk

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 2:04 PM

In simplest terms, the particular apps are not sufficiently profitable to warrant the investment in updates, or because the app vendors now have different priorities and/or have newer apps on offer. Apps don’t last forever, and perpetual licenses don’t mean free perpetual updates. No commercial provider can offer a free perpetual license with free perpetual updates, as sooner or later the new sales will inevitably end, and no more revenue means no more updates.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 2:04 PM in response to adrolson

In simplest terms, the particular apps are not sufficiently profitable to warrant the investment in updates, or because the app vendors now have different priorities and/or have newer apps on offer. Apps don’t last forever, and perpetual licenses don’t mean free perpetual updates. No commercial provider can offer a free perpetual license with free perpetual updates, as sooner or later the new sales will inevitably end, and no more revenue means no more updates.

Dec 30, 2022 4:21 PM in response to adrolson

adrolson wrote:

It is not the updates, i don't care about apps being old that are suppose to be used with a new product that somebody is selling, the thing is that the app dos not work even if the product is new because apple changed the operating system that makes the app useless for the product, these products are new and being sold today somewhere MrHoffman

If you just bought the product, request a refund.

If that was from/via Apple: Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple - Apple Support

Otherwise, contact the app vendor and request a refund from them.

If this is an older purchase and/or you need these apps, erase and restore your pre-upgrade macOS system backup, and don’t upgrade. Not until the incompatible apps are updated, retired, or replaced.

If you have feedback for Apple, send it to them: Product Feedback - Apple

Perpetual licenses from commercial vendors don’t cover perpetual upgrades, and support and updates for the version will eventually be withdrawn.

If you “just” want to vent about being on a perpetual treadmill of updates, well, welcome to all of computing and that for approximately forever.

Dec 30, 2022 3:59 PM in response to adrolson

It is not the updates, i don't care about apps being old that are suppose to be used with a new product that somebody is selling, the thing is that the app dos not work even if the product is new because apple changed the operating system that makes the app useless for the product, these products are new and being sold today somewhere MrHoffman

Dec 30, 2022 4:34 PM in response to MrHoffman

It just started happening with iSO 16 and Big Sur up to Ventura otherwise everything was just fine, Can not even make a bootable copy of your mac operating system any more, i have a windows app that is over 20 years old and i can install it on the latest Windows 11 operating system and it works like the day i got it with no problems right now, this can't be done on a Apple operating system apparently

Dec 30, 2022 4:47 PM in response to adrolson

adrolson wrote:

It just started happening with iSO 16 and Big Sur up to Ventura otherwise everything was just fine, Can not even make a bootable copy of your mac operating system any more, i have a windows app that is over 20 years old and i can install it on the latest Windows 11 operating system and it works like the day i got it with no problems right now, this can't be done on a Apple operating system apparently

This is not new. macOS Mojave was the last version available for all 32-bit apps, for instance.

Microsoft specifically targets long-term compatibility with Windows, and even they eventually have to drag forward and break some apps, as happened with Windows NT and with Windows Vista.

Targeting backward compatibility also means you can’t move forward as quickly, or as all. And Apple moves forward more quickly than many other vendors. In past years, that meant ending floppy disks, removing optical disk drives, or removing ADB connections, removing USB-A ports or deprecating and removing all 32-bit APIs for apps, and many other examples.

If you want longer-term support, go Windows. And in recent times, Microsoft supports their apps only on the three most recent versions. And limits how long the next most recent version gets updates, after a new app version is released. Which also meant many conversations around here about the end of Office 2011, and earlier Office versions.

But I understand your position, and what you want to have happen. I just don’t expect it to be a sustainable business model for any commercial vendor, whether for individual app vendors, or Apple or Microsoft, or otherwise.

How come the updated apple operating systems are stopping the apps for the products i have form working, it is 4 now that don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.