Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase everything on my old computer.

How do I erase all content on my old computer?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 2:14 PM

In computer tech (file-system level) internals ...

ERASE / DELETE means : deleting only the 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content remains intact , DATA-RECOVERY is possible easily to get that file.

WIPE means : deleting each bits of a file, then delete 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content is gone or zeroed, general DATA-RECOVERY is NOT possible to get that file.

Erase is faster, but Wiping takes longer time.

If a utility/tool gives option to WIPE during ERASE, then choose that if you want to really/completely delete it.

So, take steps, based on what you want to do/achieve.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (AppleSilicon ~= apple ARM M1/M2 etc).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Doing a FACTORY-RESET is another option, allows to start everything from (almost) new.

During factory-reset (see below link), you can run Disk Utility & ERASE all with WIPE option enabled.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Be ready to provide your internet wifi base-station ID/name & password, etc , to (down)-load the default factory macOS or new macOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 2:14 PM in response to JCPCCP

In computer tech (file-system level) internals ...

ERASE / DELETE means : deleting only the 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content remains intact , DATA-RECOVERY is possible easily to get that file.

WIPE means : deleting each bits of a file, then delete 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content is gone or zeroed, general DATA-RECOVERY is NOT possible to get that file.

Erase is faster, but Wiping takes longer time.

If a utility/tool gives option to WIPE during ERASE, then choose that if you want to really/completely delete it.

So, take steps, based on what you want to do/achieve.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (AppleSilicon ~= apple ARM M1/M2 etc).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Doing a FACTORY-RESET is another option, allows to start everything from (almost) new.

During factory-reset (see below link), you can run Disk Utility & ERASE all with WIPE option enabled.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Be ready to provide your internet wifi base-station ID/name & password, etc , to (down)-load the default factory macOS or new macOS.

How do I erase everything on my old computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.