Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use anyone with an android phone as your recovery contact?

I’m trying to set up a recovery contact but everyone I trust has an android. Does anyone know how to set them up or is it impossible? Please advise

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 10:02 AM

What does your recovery contact need?

Your contacts will need an iOS device with iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 or later, or Mac with macOS Monterey or later, and must meet the minimum requirements. Your recovery contacts won't have any access to your account, only the ability to give you a code if you need one.

Straight from the link above.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Jagfann

What does your recovery contact need?

Your contacts will need an iOS device with iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 or later, or Mac with macOS Monterey or later, and must meet the minimum requirements. Your recovery contacts won't have any access to your account, only the ability to give you a code if you need one.

Straight from the link above.

Dec 31, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Jagfann

They’ll need an Apple device (as was mentioned by Johnathan Burger), or you’ll need to hand over full control of your Apple ID via either establishing them as a trusted telephone number, or by switching to the no-assisted-password-recovery mode and handing them a copy of the Apple ID recovery code.

The latter two options are not good ones, as they cede full control to your Apple ID.

Apple is adding support for security keys in early 2023, and this might provide an alternative path without ceding control. This if keeping track of physical security keys is an option. We’ll know more about this and any trade-offs as we get closer to availability. (But given no two-factor in use here, tokens might be a stretch.)

Dec 31, 2022 10:07 AM in response to Jagfann

I don’t think it matters. Surely they want to just check your identity and send you a code in a text message. I don’t use two step verification for the reason that it’s complicated. I prefer answering two of a number of personal question to reaccess or reset a password. I’ll keep using this until Apple forces me like Google. Only bad point is you cant sign up using Apple ID with new apps.

Dec 31, 2022 10:11 AM in response to willis12345

The answer is no, the person must have iOS or MacOs.

This is a user to user support forum.

Apple is not here and does not read or respond to any post here.

A unknown person can't verify your identity. If you don't have an Apple ID and device that is registered with Apple, they don't know who you are.

Why would they trust you to verify anything?

Does anyone know if there is a way to use anyone with an android phone as your recovery contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.