Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted and unrelated "Tooltips" at mouse position.

After the OSX upgrade to Ventura (13.0) I am getting unwanted and unrelated "tooltips" at random mouse positions.

Not sure if tooltip is the correct name, see example screenshot where I get the "tooltip" typing this support question (the grey bar with a filename in it:

This happens at several different screen locations in whatever program I am in eg. browser, editor, ....etc.

It is very annoying as it hides the text.

I have rebooted the MacBook Air already several times but that does not solve it.

Anybody a clue on what the cause might be and solve it?

The setup:

MacBook Air M1

Nothing attached, using the build in trackpad

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 5:02 AM

Not sure, but from memory, once a New Upgrade of macOS is installed, sometimes there is the semi - guided Tour of the New Features in Ventura maybe be presented ?

But if that is not what is happening - two separate suggestions

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

2 - " After the OSX upgrade to Ventura (13.0) "

There have been 2 upDates to Ventura since version 13.0 was released

The Current Stable Version is now 13.1 Ventura

The following links may shed some light of this

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.1 - Apple Support (CA)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 5:02 AM in response to Willem Vermeulen

Not sure, but from memory, once a New Upgrade of macOS is installed, sometimes there is the semi - guided Tour of the New Features in Ventura maybe be presented ?

But if that is not what is happening - two separate suggestions

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

2 - " After the OSX upgrade to Ventura (13.0) "

There have been 2 upDates to Ventura since version 13.0 was released

The Current Stable Version is now 13.1 Ventura

The following links may shed some light of this

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.1 - Apple Support (CA)

Jan 1, 2023 5:27 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Because of your mention of 3rd party software I disabled all my open apps one by one and checked in between if the issue was still happening.

An behold I found the application causing the issue.

I is the Enpass password manager. Having the app active the issue is there, quoting it and the issue is gone.

So I will contact them to have a look at it.

Unwanted and unrelated "Tooltips" at mouse position.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.