Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Print" Crashes Apps in Ventura 16.2

Since upgrading from Monterey to Ventura 16.2 (18614.3.7.1.5) on my iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020, 128 GB memory:

Whenever I type cmd-P or select "Print" from the "File" menu -- in MOST applications -- that application crashes: Safari, Graphic Converter, Preview. Or, if I "Open in Preview" from the "Print" window.

Some apps that DON'T crash when I "Print:" Stickies, Brave Browser, Firefox (but I get a print error message in Firefox, and can't print).

I had no problems at all like this when I was using Monterey or previous MacOS's.

Troubleshooting steps:

1) These crashes DO occur in Safe Mode.

2) I've successfully run Disk Utility from Recovery Mode.

3) I've reinstalled Ventura 16.2, with no change.

4) I've run the full suite of Onyx Maintenance utilities.

5) I've reset NVRAM.

6) I've reset the SMC.

7) These crashes DO NOT occur in a Test account.

Of course, I'll continue to bang my head against the iMac -- but in the meantime, any thoughts, or solutions?

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 12:36 PM

Do you have any printer configured? Have you tried to "Print" without any printer configured (dude, are you crazy – no, just checking if you can still print to PDF without any printer configured). I'm asking this as I faced issues with old EPSON drivers that I had to manually remove them from the computer (searched all my MAC for the drivers) so it would force the MacOS to reinstall the drivers again. Mine were old drivers not compatible with MacOS Ventura.

Hope this helps...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Adayapple

Do you have any printer configured? Have you tried to "Print" without any printer configured (dude, are you crazy – no, just checking if you can still print to PDF without any printer configured). I'm asking this as I faced issues with old EPSON drivers that I had to manually remove them from the computer (searched all my MAC for the drivers) so it would force the MacOS to reinstall the drivers again. Mine were old drivers not compatible with MacOS Ventura.

Hope this helps...

Jan 1, 2023 2:39 PM in response to Adayapple

This could be something with a preferences file, since it does not happen in a test account. An extreme solution would be to reset the system:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Support

This will delete the printers and the preferences files.

Or delete the com.apple.print files from ~/Library/Preferences individually until you find the problematic file.

Hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2023 8:38 AM in response to Adayapple

Thanks to Leandro_Brazil and John Blanchard1 for their guidance! 😀

This was a much simpler fix than I expected.

1) I opened System Settings.

2) I selected "Printers and Scanners."

3) I clicked on my printer's name.

4) I clicked "Remove Printer."

5) I selected my printer again.

I've had no further crashes, and I'm able to "Save To PDF" and "Open in Preview" as I always have.

"Print" Crashes Apps in Ventura 16.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.