Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro showing 163gb and not 256gb after formatting the internal drive

I wanted to reinstall Mac os with my boot drive, so I went into recovery and formatted the drive. Except no matter what I do it only shows the total capacity as 163gb instead of 256gb. I dual booted Linux a while back but only partitioned like 5 gigs for it. Has anyone else had this problem or is this actually how it shows up?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 1:45 PM

Well you can see the Linux partition is taking far more than 5GB it's taking 77GB. You can delete that partition with the following Terminal command:

diskutil eraseVolume free free disk0s4

Then you can open the graphical Disk Utility, highlight the main disk and click Partition and make the APFS partition larger to take up that free space that is not being used.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 1:45 PM in response to Homertjones

Well you can see the Linux partition is taking far more than 5GB it's taking 77GB. You can delete that partition with the following Terminal command:

diskutil eraseVolume free free disk0s4

Then you can open the graphical Disk Utility, highlight the main disk and click Partition and make the APFS partition larger to take up that free space that is not being used.

Jan 2, 2023 2:00 PM in response to Homertjones

You are planning to nuke and pave from scratch? A fully clean installation of macOS? If you are on an Intel Mac, backup your data and create a bootable OS installer flash drive and then boot from that flash drive by holding Option key when powering on. Then use Disk Utility to completely erase the internal disk and install macOS cleanly.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If it's an Apple Silicon (M1 / M2) Mac then you should go to System Preferences and Erase all Content and Settings from the drop down top menu. Or on Ventura System Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings. It works exactly like it does on iPhone / iPad.

Jan 1, 2023 9:40 PM in response to Homertjones

Homertjones wrote:

I wanted to reinstall Mac os with my boot drive, so I went into recovery and formatted the drive. Except no matter what I do it only shows the total capacity as 163gb instead of 256gb. I dual booted Linux a while back but only partitioned like 5 gigs for it. Has anyone else had this problem or is this actually how it shows up?

Lets see the output from the Terminal.app copy & paste:

diskutil list internal

M1 MacBook Pro showing 163gb and not 256gb after formatting the internal drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.