Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMessage is not activating it keeps saying activation error what should I do?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 11:06 PM

1 reply

Jan 2, 2023 7:00 PM in response to Gbemiga828

Hi Gbemiga828,

We recommend that you try the steps in the link below since you're having difficulty activating iMessage:

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime

To perform the steps in the article we suggested above, click and open the link, read the subheadings below, and try each step.

1) Check your device settings

2) Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime

We recommend the steps above because they will show you what to do if you're having difficulty activating iMessage.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue after waiting 24 hours, try the steps below.

It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:

1) Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
2) If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can send and receive SMS messages.
3) Make sure you can send and receive SMS. If a prompt appears stating "Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate FaceTime and iMessage", tap "OK" to allow possible SMS charges.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

My iMessage is not activating it keeps saying activation error what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.