Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app password

Hello, i forgot my password for the locked notes and this is really really so important to reach them, but face id doesnt work it only wants password but i cant remember how hard i try. Please and please help me to reach the password or give me any solution, its very important

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 2:56 AM

You will need to remember the original password or you won't be able to unlock the note.

You can change you Note password, but If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 2:56 AM in response to khayalas

You will need to remember the original password or you won't be able to unlock the note.

You can change you Note password, but If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes.

Jan 2, 2023 10:55 AM in response to khayalas

Because Face ID is not and never has been a permanent replacement for the password you created to lock the note. You were told that the first time you locked a note with a password. A locked note will occasionally require you to enter its password, even if Face ID is set up to unlock it.

See How to lock or unlock notes on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Particularly this part:

Apple doesn't have access to locked notes and can’t help you access them if you forget your notes password. If you forget your notes password, resetting the password doesn’t give you access to previously locked notes. 

Jan 5, 2023 3:03 PM in response to khayalas

Even if Face ID is working perfectly, it is still not a permanent replacement for the password you created to lock the note. Your iPhone will still require you to enter that password at some point. If your iPhone asks you for the password for a note, you must provide it. Even if Face ID is working. If you cannot remember the password, the note will remain locked until you remember and provide it.

Notes app password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.