Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting an Apple Cinema Display to a Windows laptop

I have a Dell XPS (running Windows 11) with two thunderbolt ports. I am trying to connect an Apple Cinema Display to it that I have from an old MacBook. It connects just fine but I can not get anywhere near the resolution I expected from the display (2560x1600). When I check the driver settings, it seems that Windows is finding it as a Generic Monitor:

I tried finding better settings in the advanced settings pages but the higher resolution is not available:

I did have this working at one time with a similar laptop (Dell has replaced the old one with a newer one with better specs) but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to get it working.

Here is my built-in screen resolution and options:

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 10:57 AM

If you use a DVI-D single link adapter you won't get the full resolution. You need a DVI-D Dual Link to be able to get the native resolution of your cinema display. I am using the following with my Cinema 30" under Windows 11 through USB-C:

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Adapter-CableCreation-Resolution-Converter/dp/B085HH1LQW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27U6MXP79SRR0&keywords=dual+link+dvi+to+usb+c&qid=1675995564&sprefix=dual+link+dvi+to+usbc%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-3

Pretty much plug and play.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 10:57 AM in response to jordanth

If you use a DVI-D single link adapter you won't get the full resolution. You need a DVI-D Dual Link to be able to get the native resolution of your cinema display. I am using the following with my Cinema 30" under Windows 11 through USB-C:

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Adapter-CableCreation-Resolution-Converter/dp/B085HH1LQW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27U6MXP79SRR0&keywords=dual+link+dvi+to+usb+c&qid=1675995564&sprefix=dual+link+dvi+to+usbc%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-3

Pretty much plug and play.

connecting an Apple Cinema Display to a Windows laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.