Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding RAM

I have a 2020 iMac. I am running two 16GB each in its own slot. I just bought two 32GB to add to the RAM. I have read both ways to install: put the 16s in slots 1 and 3 and the 32s in slot 2 and 4. I have also read that it doesn't matter how they are installed. That I could put one set in 1 and 2 and the other in 3 and 4. Please let me know which is correct. All four run at 2666. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 11:58 AM

According to Apple: "iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) DIMMs have a notch on the bottom, slightly left of the middle. If your DIMMs are mixed in capacity, minimize the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4) when possible." From: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

28 replies

Jan 4, 2023 1:45 AM in response to dialabrain

I disagree!

Minimising the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4) means that the capacity in GB of the memory modules to be installed in Channel A should match as closely as possible the capacity in GB of the memory modules to be installed in Channel B! If you would put the 16GB modules in slot 1 and 2 or in slot 3 and 4, you would actually do the opposite of what is recommended, i.e. you would be increasing the capacity difference between Channel A and B: 32GB in one channel versus 64GB in the other one...

In other words and in this case, and looking at the image in the reply above:

1. put one 32GB memory module in slot 1;
  2. put one 16GB memory module in slot 2;
  3. put the second 32GB memory module in slot 3;
  4. put the second 16GB memory module in slot 4.

Because slots 1 + 2 make up Channel A and slots 3 + 4 Channel B, in this case both Channels have the same amount of RAM at their disposal (in this case, each channel has 48GB), which is exactly what Apple recommends by saying "minimise the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4). Also, I recommend putting the highest capacity memory modules (in this case the 32GB modules) in slots 1 and 3.

After installation of the memory modules, you can check if you did the right thing in the "Hardware > Memory" section of System Information (you find that application inside the Utilities folder on your iMac). I add a screen capture of my memory banks's layout to help you understand better (look at "Channel A" and "Channel B": the same amount of memory). Also know that Bank 0 equals Slot 1, Bank 1 = Slot 2, etc. In my case each Channel has 20GB at its disposal.

Jan 4, 2023 10:42 AM in response to pkcid

I'm far from sure that they are 2666MHz, actually. When memory modules of different speeds are installed together, an iMac will run all of them at the speed of the slowest module. Obviously, your iMac needs all RAM modules to be running at 2666MHz and therefore their specs need to be the same.

Presuming your two 16GB modules are the original modules that were installed in your iMac when you bought it (first hand?), they are not to be suspected as they will run at 2666MHz. I suspect one or both of the newly purchased 32GB modules are 2133MHz instead of 2666.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Where did you buy the two 32GB modules?
  2. What make are they?
  3. Can you make a photo of the label on the plastic packaging of the modules and post it here, so we can see the full specs?
  4. Can you please run "System Information", go to the Hardware section, and click on "Memory" in the left pane. Then try to make a screen capture of the right pane, where you will see the overview of all memory banks and what is installed in them, and post it here.

Jan 5, 2023 4:23 AM in response to pkcid

I've done some research and you're not the only one who has this issue. Because you seem to be stressed out with this, I will simply give you the answer to the problem. Don't bother about checking out if your new 32GB memory modules are indeed 2666MHz or not, because they most certainly are! It turns out that 2020 iMacs are more picky about which memory modules they like and which they don't really like so much.

The problem is that if you don't have four totally identical 2666 MHz memory modules (same make, and identical specs, etc.), your iMac will use them at 2133MHz.

Now, you have three options:

1. Keep your current setup, and have your iMac use its memory at a lower RAM speed (2133 instead of 2666); the advantage being that Dual Channel will still be functioning.
  2. Put the 16GB modules in slots 1-2 or 3-4 and put the 32GB ones in slots 3-4 or 1-2 respectively. Advantage: your iMac will use its memory at full speed. Disadvantage: you lose Dual Channel functionality.
  3. Only install the two new 32GB memory modules, in slot 1 and in slot 3, and forget about the 16GB ones. Advantage: your iMac will use its memory at full speed and will keep its Dual Channel functionality. Disadvantage: you will 'only' have 64GB of RAM instead of 96GB.

I totally recommend the last option, as in my experience 64GB of RAM should be more than enough to have even more demanding applications (e.g. photography and video editing software) run smoothly. The disadvantages of either losing Dual Channel functionality or having lower memory speeds are, in my opinion, more serious than having 64GB RAM instead of 96GB.

Jan 5, 2023 6:57 AM in response to pkcid

Are you sure you installed the modules correctly, i.e. did you feel/hear a click? Try uninstalling and re-installing them. What make are they?

These are the necessary specs:

For optimal memory performance, DIMMs should be the same capacity, speed, and vendor. Use Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMM) that meet all of these criteria:

• PC4-21333
    • Unbuffered
    • Nonparity
    • 260-pin
    • 2666MHz DDR4 SDRAM

Jan 2, 2023 12:30 PM in response to dialabrain

I guess I should have mentioned this on my initial question. I don't understand Apple's explanation. Does this mean it doesn't matter what the order should be. I think I do understand the capacity difference, two 16GB pieces and two 32GB pieces. How do I minimize the capacity difference? As a senior citizen I sometimes am baffled at today's technology. Thank you for your help.

Jan 4, 2023 11:14 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

I have taken a photo of the label of the 32GB modules. I am having an extremely difficult time doing a screenshot. I've done them before with no issues. I have an appointment soon so I'll have to leave this until later today. By the way, I may have installed the modules wrong. I put 16GB then 32GB then 16GB then 32GB in slots 1 thru four respectively. Could that be the problem.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2023 11:23 AM in response to pkcid

I don't think it has anything to do with the order you installed the modules in. Although I recommend always putting the largest modules in slot 1 and 3, the opposite order works as well. I suspect the cause of the problem lies in the fact that at least one of your modules is 2133MHz and not 2666. It would be helpful to see the labels on the packaging, although that is not a guarantee that the modules actually have those exact specs. The labels on the modules themselves should tell us the truth, unless someone fiddled with those as well. But first things first: let's see those labels on the packaging. I'm on the Old Continent, so will probably not be able to reply in the next 12 hours or so.

In the mean time, don't use that iMac and turn it off completely, as it's not supposed to run its RAM at lower speeds than 2666MHz. It could be OK but better be safe than sorry.

Jan 4, 2023 12:21 PM in response to Deep Sky Diver

I just put them back in the correct order and it is still showing 2133MHz. I have been unable to do a screenshot and I don't know why. I will copy all the info from the package of the 32GB modules. I do have a photo of that but I don't know how to get it to you. I will shut down my iMac now and put the info on my other computer.

Thanks for your patience.

Jan 4, 2023 12:50 PM in response to dialabrain

I bought the machine brand new in Spring 2021. It came with 16GB RAM and I bought two 16GB modules and replaced the two 8GB modules that came with the computer. What I didn't do was just add the two 16GB modules to the existing two 8GB modules. I am going to take out the 32s that I just bought and see if the speed goes up to 2666MHz. But I need a break today, this is stressing me out. Thanks foryour help. I'll be in touch tomorrow?

Jan 5, 2023 5:38 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

I will take your suggestion and run with it, install the new 32GB modules. I am not educated in "dual channel functionality" so if you could please explain that I would like to know about it. Sadly for me at this point I have spent almost as much for RAM as I could have had installed when the machine was ordered from Apple. Well maybe not that much. Anyhow, I don't know how to thank you enough for all the work and time you have put in to help me in this mess. If you lived close to the west coast of Florida I'd buy you a beer or coffee. Many thanks.

Adding RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.