Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which charger to use for my iPad?

are there different requirements for charging different generations of ipads. My Ipads all charge very slowly, I use the same adapters for my old iphones are there different power requirements?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 10:02 AM

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Note that many commercial Power Adapters use proprietary charging standards.

Recent models of iPad support the industry standard USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging, but do not support “QC” (Quick Charge) other proprietary Fast Charging standards.  Most (if not all) models of iPad will charge at a maximum charging rate of 20W; more powerful Power Adapters can be used to no benefit - other than providing additional power capacity for attached USB peripherals.

You would be best advised to use well known “branded” Power Adapters from well known manufacturers - as these will have more reliable safety features and circuitry to protect connected devices from over-voltage/over-current conditions that can cause serious damage. To old adage that you get what you pay-for is never more appropriate; cheap generally indicates corners (and cost) have been cut.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 10:02 AM in response to Mstrassburg

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Note that many commercial Power Adapters use proprietary charging standards.

Recent models of iPad support the industry standard USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging, but do not support “QC” (Quick Charge) other proprietary Fast Charging standards.  Most (if not all) models of iPad will charge at a maximum charging rate of 20W; more powerful Power Adapters can be used to no benefit - other than providing additional power capacity for attached USB peripherals.

You would be best advised to use well known “branded” Power Adapters from well known manufacturers - as these will have more reliable safety features and circuitry to protect connected devices from over-voltage/over-current conditions that can cause serious damage. To old adage that you get what you pay-for is never more appropriate; cheap generally indicates corners (and cost) have been cut.

Jan 3, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Mstrassburg

Mstrassburg wrote:

Thanks. I do see that some of my iphones and ipads seem to take forever to chargenow. Ok time to buy some new adapters and cables.. Do you think it is ok just to go with the 20W and the relatively inexpensive ones on ebay. e.g 20W Super Fast Wall PD Charger Type C USB-C For iPhone 11 12 13 14 Pro Max iPad for $4.95.

I would consider what you are getting for such a low price. Would not want to risk expensive devices with poor quality chargers.

ps: although it says for iphone 11 --- I have both a 6 and 8 plus. not to mention other assorted other ipads ranging from about 2nd Generation to 6 Generation. I assume it is ok to use the same chargers interchangeable between iphones and ipads although my older IPOD seems more selective.

Yes. Both iPhones and iPads accept and support the same chargers just fine.

Jan 2, 2023 12:12 PM in response to Mstrassburg

Yes. Newer devices normally require more power.

The iPads include their own power adapter that can be used with them and any other devices and charge the iPads at an acceptable pace.

For iPads it's recommended at least 12 watts. While you can use the old small cube 5 watt iPhone chargers, they will charge very slowly. For devices that support fast charging, 18 to 25 watts is recommended.

Jan 2, 2023 2:27 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks. I do see that some of my iphones and ipads seem to take forever to chargenow. Ok time to buy some new adapters and cables.. Do you think it is ok just to go with the 20W and the relatively inexpensive ones on ebay. e.g 20W Super Fast Wall PD Charger Type C USB-C For iPhone 11 12 13 14 Pro Max iPad for $4.95.

ps: although it says for iphone 11 --- I have both a 6 and 8 plus. not to mention other assorted other ipads ranging from about 2nd Generation to 6 Generation. I assume it is ok to use the same chargers interchangeable between iphones and ipads although my older IPOD seems more selective. Of course they use a variety of cables!! ....and then there are all more Bluetooth headphones using even different cables and I assume different adapters. This has really become a Kafkaesque electronics charging nightmare for the consumer!!

Marc

Which charger to use for my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.