Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What type of cable do I need to connect a large screen monitor to my MacBook Air, M1, 2020?

What type of cable do I need to connect a large screen monitor (external display) to my Macbook Air, M1, 2020?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 4:01 PM

I’d suggest going with the display port since its a higher quality connection.

link ➡️ Thunderbolt 3 to Display Port Cable - Amazon.com

if you really want to use the hdmi connection, then a usb-c or thunderbolt to hdmi cable;

link ➡️ USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Amazon.com

5 replies

Jan 2, 2023 1:26 PM in response to macmcnyc

That depends on the ports the monitor has.

If the monitor supports Thunderbolt 3 or 4, you can connect the Mac to the monitor with a straight USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable.

Otherwise, an adapter may be needed, again depending on the ports on the Monitor.

Tell us the make and model of the monitor or at least the type of ports it has and we can offer more specific advice.

Jan 2, 2023 2:03 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you. It's an HP printer with HDMI cable. Here is the link:

HP 24mh FHD Monitor - Computer Monitor with 23.8-Inch IPS Display (1080p) - Built-In Speakers and VESA Mounting - Height/Tilt Adjustment for Ergonomic Viewing - HDMI and DisplayPort - (1D0J9AA#ABA) https://a.co/0kvczR2

Alternatively, Do you know of monitors that do support Thunderbolt cables? I haven't seen any.

What type of cable do I need to connect a large screen monitor to my MacBook Air, M1, 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.