Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Sync not working on new iPhone

Hello,

I switched from an iPhone 12 Pro Max to an IPhone 14 Pro Max last week and having trouble on getting my photos synced to the new device from iCloud.

Foto Sync is enabled but stuck. new photos are uploaded to my iCloud library. But I don‘t get the old photos from the cloud to my new iPhone. Other devices are syncing correctly (iPad, Apple TV)

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 3:57 AM

8 replies

Jan 4, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Sheapper

Hello Sheapper,

To start off, please review the steps in this support article to make sure everything is set up correctly on your new iPhone: Set up and use iCloud Photos.

A couple points to note:

• A very large photo library may take some time to fully sync over.
  • If the iCloud restore of your new device is still processing, the photos may not sync fully until that is done.
  • A strong network is advised for best results when content is syncing wirelessly.

If the issue is unresolved, please make sure to fully update (Update your iPhone or iPad) and restart (Restart your iPhone) your iPhone as both steps may help with that behavior.

Let us know if we can help with anything else at all or if this doesn't settle your issue so we can look into this further with you. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Jan 5, 2023 10:34 AM in response to Sheapper

Hi Sheapper,

When you take a new photo, does it appear in the Shared Library? When Shared Library is set up, you can turn on automatic sharing to add photos straight from the camera to your Shared Library. Here's how to do this:

1. Go to Settings > Photos, then tap Shared Library. Tap Sharing from Camera and make sure it's turned on.
To add a button in the Camera app to share photos and videos to your Shared Library, turn on Sharing from Camera.

• To have the Camera app add photos to your Shared Library automatically when you're near participants, choose Share Automatically.
• To choose when to have the Camera app add photos to your Shared Library, choose Share Manually.
• To automatically share photos taken at home to the Shared Library, choose Share When At Home.

2. In the Camera app, to send photos and videos straight to your Shared Library, make sure that the Shared Library button  is turned on. To send photos and videos to your Personal Library, tap to turn it off.
The Shared Library button is at the top of the screen.

This information is from How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library.

Let us know what happens when you try that and we'll continue.

Take care.

Jan 5, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Sheapper

Hello Sheapper,

It sounds like the new iPhone is working with the Shared Library and your iPad and your wife's devices do see these newly added photos.

When you originally set up the Shared Library, which option did you select during the set up for using older photos? Did you select them or select the option to do so later on? Now that your iCloud restore from backup is complete, are you seeing these older photos on your new iPhone now?

Are you using any security software or VPNs? As these can cause network issues: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues

Hoping to hear how it goes, take care.

Jan 5, 2023 8:58 AM in response to 1ssmith

Hello 1ssmith,

thank you for your answer.

ICloud Photos is set up correctly.

My iPhone has already the newest iOS version (16.2)

The iCloud Restore of the device is also completed.

The Internet connection with 175 Mbit/s should be fast enough :-)

What I should perhaps mention is that it is a shared library which I share with my wife.

I myself have the owner rights for the library.

On the iPhone of my wife the sync works without problems

I already tried to reset my phone and set it up as a new device (not from Backup), but this also leads to the same problem.

iCloud Photo Sync not working on new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.