Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad having trouble connecting to a Wi-Fi network

Hello all,

I am having problems with my iPad. It will not connect to any Wi-Fi network, before and after a factory reset. This started about one week ago with my iPhone which had the same issues. It would only connect to my laptops’ mobile hotspot. After a few tries it ended up working but my iPad never did. It shows a message (See Image above) telling me that the Wi-Fi network I selected is not providing an internet connection, except that every other device I have is connected to it and works fine. TIA.

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 8:54 AM

Start with basic WiFi troubleshooting - as detailed here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP - and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for the WiFi network/hotspot to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 8:54 AM in response to dotec

Start with basic WiFi troubleshooting - as detailed here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP - and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for the WiFi network/hotspot to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

Jan 4, 2023 2:20 PM in response to dotec

While it may appear counterintuitive, your WiFi Router may be unexpectedly blocking internet access for the device with which you are having difficulty - while successfully passing traffic for other devices.

A restart of your WiFi Router will likely clear the connection issue.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Jan 4, 2023 1:34 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the response. My Wi-Fi has been set up according to apple’s recommended settings. As I said in the previous post, all my other devices are connected and working fine with the same Wi-Fi network which my iPad doesn’t want to connect to. I have tried about everything, read through various posts and discussions, but it just won’t work. It should be noted that I do not and never had a VPN enabled on any of my devices. I hope this helps resolve the issue. TIA.

iPad having trouble connecting to a Wi-Fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.