Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal speakers not working

I have a macbook pro 2014, Big Sur OS. The sound is not coming out. The option of selecting the internal speakers is not even available (when I go to Sound options0

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 6:39 PM

Try connecting headphones or external speakers using the headphone jack. Do you hear audio through the headphones or external speakers? If not, then you may have a software issue or configuration issue. On the "Output" tab of the Sound System Preferences, is there a drop down list box where you can choose different audio devices? If so, select "internal speakers". It is easy to over look this drop down list box since it is a relatively new way of selecting the devices.

If there is no "Internal" option, then Play some audio. While the audio is playing look into the headphone jack. If you see a red light, then most likely the headphone jack is bad which is common on older model Macs. Usually one of the spring metal contacts becomes bent and shorts out against the grounded case of the headphone jack which makes the computer think headphones are connected. Sometimes this can be fixed by bending the spring metal contact away from the casing of the jack. With newer model Macs, Apple uses a different contact mechanism (ball bearings) which does not have this issue. I honestly don't recall which one a 2014 laptop uses.

Of course, if you have some third party audio (or perhaps even some video) software installed, they may make system modifications which may affect the options displayed. You could try booting into Safe Mode to see if that makes any difference. And you can try creating & using a new macOS user account (create the account, log out of the current user, then log into the new user account). Does the new user account have the same issue? If not, then the issue is localized to your main user account.

It never hurts to try a PRAM Reset (hold the reset for at least three chimes...assuming the chimes can be heard, otherwise hold it for a full minute).

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics....I know some of them will perform an audio test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 6:39 PM in response to sastryj

Try connecting headphones or external speakers using the headphone jack. Do you hear audio through the headphones or external speakers? If not, then you may have a software issue or configuration issue. On the "Output" tab of the Sound System Preferences, is there a drop down list box where you can choose different audio devices? If so, select "internal speakers". It is easy to over look this drop down list box since it is a relatively new way of selecting the devices.

If there is no "Internal" option, then Play some audio. While the audio is playing look into the headphone jack. If you see a red light, then most likely the headphone jack is bad which is common on older model Macs. Usually one of the spring metal contacts becomes bent and shorts out against the grounded case of the headphone jack which makes the computer think headphones are connected. Sometimes this can be fixed by bending the spring metal contact away from the casing of the jack. With newer model Macs, Apple uses a different contact mechanism (ball bearings) which does not have this issue. I honestly don't recall which one a 2014 laptop uses.

Of course, if you have some third party audio (or perhaps even some video) software installed, they may make system modifications which may affect the options displayed. You could try booting into Safe Mode to see if that makes any difference. And you can try creating & using a new macOS user account (create the account, log out of the current user, then log into the new user account). Does the new user account have the same issue? If not, then the issue is localized to your main user account.

It never hurts to try a PRAM Reset (hold the reset for at least three chimes...assuming the chimes can be heard, otherwise hold it for a full minute).

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics....I know some of them will perform an audio test.

Jan 4, 2023 7:43 PM in response to sastryj

sastryj Said:

"internal speakers not working: I have a macbook pro 2014, Big Sur OS. The sound is not coming out. The option of selecting the internal speakers is not even available (when I go to Sound options0"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

Seems the drivers are corrupt, or have gone missing, somehow. So, reinstall the macOS. System files will be put back to where they should be, and damaged system files will be replaced with clean ones.

In Depth:

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

Jan 4, 2023 7:13 PM in response to HWTech

I really appreciate your response. I have only one option on display. For some reason it shows my home theater (I have Apple TV box there but never connected this mac book)

Tried the PRAM as well. Everything else works. Sound doesn't come out even though I tried all the methods you mentioned. Used to have Windows based laptop many years ago. We could reload the audio software. Is that not an option on MAC? why can't I download the Audio Driver again. It is not even letting me set to factory settings (the whole problems started when some idiot put their memory stick while I was doing DJ for a function since then its all messed up )

internal speakers not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.