Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 freezes with green pixels and doesn't respond to alternative boot options

Hello,

I cannot reboot/start/re-install a fresh installation of macOS.

Symptoms:

1. While starting the machine using boot functions (e.g. opt-cmd-r for reinstallation), the screen freezes with bizarre green pixels, preventing the mac from finishing the boot session.
  2. I need to force the shutdown with the power button in order to relaunch a boot
  3. The external HD boot option shows the same issue: the screen freezes with grey pixels and the machine does not respond anymore, forcing me to shut it off (hold on the power button)

Does anyone have an idea?

Description:

MacBook Pro 13' 2016

Model w/o touchbar

SSD 500GB

16GB RAM

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 8:00 AM

It sounds like there might be an issue with the hardware or software on your MacBook Pro that is causing it to freeze with green or grey pixels on the screen. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check for hardware issues: If your MacBook Pro has been dropped or otherwise damaged, it could cause issues with the display or other components. Inspect your MacBook Pro for any visible damage and make sure that the display is not cracked or damaged.
  2. Check for software issues: If you have recently installed any new software or updates, it could be causing issues with your MacBook Pro. You can try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists. To do this, restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Shift key until the login window appears. If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, it is likely caused by a problem with a third-party app or service.
  3. Check for updates: Make sure that your MacBook Pro is running the latest version of macOS. You can check for updates by going to the "App Store" app and selecting the "Updates" tab.
  4. Reset the NVRAM: The NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) stores information about your MacBook Pro's settings and configuration. Resetting the NVRAM can sometimes fix issues with the display or other system components. To reset the NVRAM, restart your MacBook Pro and immediately press and hold the Option, Command, P, and R keys until you hear the startup sound a second time.

If these steps do not help, you may need to contact Apple support for further assistance. They will be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and find a resolution.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 8:00 AM in response to Norahpack

It sounds like there might be an issue with the hardware or software on your MacBook Pro that is causing it to freeze with green or grey pixels on the screen. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check for hardware issues: If your MacBook Pro has been dropped or otherwise damaged, it could cause issues with the display or other components. Inspect your MacBook Pro for any visible damage and make sure that the display is not cracked or damaged.
  2. Check for software issues: If you have recently installed any new software or updates, it could be causing issues with your MacBook Pro. You can try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists. To do this, restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Shift key until the login window appears. If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, it is likely caused by a problem with a third-party app or service.
  3. Check for updates: Make sure that your MacBook Pro is running the latest version of macOS. You can check for updates by going to the "App Store" app and selecting the "Updates" tab.
  4. Reset the NVRAM: The NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) stores information about your MacBook Pro's settings and configuration. Resetting the NVRAM can sometimes fix issues with the display or other system components. To reset the NVRAM, restart your MacBook Pro and immediately press and hold the Option, Command, P, and R keys until you hear the startup sound a second time.

If these steps do not help, you may need to contact Apple support for further assistance. They will be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and find a resolution.

Jan 9, 2023 5:22 PM in response to R4FTY

Hi R4FTY, many thanks for your answer.

I'll briefly react to your bullet points as follows:

1. No external symptoms appear on the mac whatsoever... As for the internal environment, it is hard to say, since I have not opened it yet
  2. I've tried all methods I know to boot this machine, including a NVRAM reset, but the symptoms persist
  3. I'm afraid you're right, this seems to be a hardware issue...

Anyway, many thanks for your time.

Cheers

MacBook Pro 2016 freezes with green pixels and doesn't respond to alternative boot options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.