You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do exFat drives fail to mount, or frequently unmount, in OS Ventura?

I have been hampered by exFat external drives continuously disconnecting on my M1 Max since the Ventura update. I have run first aid on them and it shows no issue. The drives either fail to mount, even though they show up (greyed out) in disk utility, or they disconnect every 3-4 minutes, making it impossible to work on a project. They work fine on the PC, and they worked perfectly on my Macs before Ventura. I've read theories about the ideal block size needed to satisfy Mac OS and exFat, but what is this specific size and is this accurate? Can the issue be repaired in Mac OS, or must I remove all 5tb of data per drive and start over? Not a good solution. Please Apple. Address this issue and find a resolution. It's been happening for a while.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 6:12 AM

NOWWATCH wrote:

I have been hampered by exFat external drives continuously disconnecting on my M1 Max since the Ventura update. I have run first aid on them and it shows no issue. The drives either fail to mount, even though they show up (greyed out) in disk utility, or they disconnect every 3-4 minutes, making it impossible to work on a project. They work fine on the PC, and they worked perfectly on my Macs before Ventura. I've read theories about the ideal block size needed to satisfy Mac OS and exFat, but what is this specific size and is this accurate? Can the issue be repaired in Mac OS, or must I remove all 5tb of data per drive and start over? Not a good solution. Please Apple. Address this issue and find a resolution. It's been happening for a while.

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2023 6:12 AM in response to NOWWATCH

NOWWATCH wrote:

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Why do exFat drives fail to mount, or frequently unmount, in OS Ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.