Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall macOS Sierra to n my 2015 Intel-based MacBookPro (MBP) after running the First Aid multiple times

After erasing the original hard drive and tried to reinstall the macOS, it failed.

When powered up, it has the blinking folder pointing to the link: support.apple.com/mac/startup

After following the instruction from the link above, to run the First Aid on all the drive/volume items on the left for my 2015 Intel-based MBP, it still fail the original macOS Sierra again and again, after several attempts. Now I don't know what to do to reinstall the OS.

How can I get out of this loop or rebooting, repairing it with First Aid, and try to reinstall the macOS to the hard drive again?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 4:09 AM

Hi,

I suppose you are trying to install macOS on your MacBook Pro with Recovery Mode.

Try to reset NVRAM, then start up with Recovery mode could solve your issue.

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you should take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to install macOS on your MacBook Pro there.

As far as I know, it's free.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 4:09 AM in response to WhataNewMacUser

Hi,

I suppose you are trying to install macOS on your MacBook Pro with Recovery Mode.

Try to reset NVRAM, then start up with Recovery mode could solve your issue.

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you should take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to install macOS on your MacBook Pro there.

As far as I know, it's free.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations - Apple

Jan 5, 2023 5:57 AM in response to WhataNewMacUser

WhataNewMacUser wrote:

After erasing the original hard drive and tried to reinstall the macOS, it failed.
When powered up, it has the blinking folder pointing to the link: support.apple.com/mac/startup

After following the instruction from the link above, to run the First Aid on all the drive/volume items on the left for my 2015 Intel-based MBP, it still fail the original macOS Sierra again and again, after several attempts. Now I don't know what to do to reinstall the OS.

How can I get out of this loop or rebooting, repairing it with First Aid, and try to reinstall the macOS to the hard drive again?
Thanks.

If you can run Sierra— you can run High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14042) November 12, 2020

How to download macOS - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Why going back to Sierra on a 2015... you do not paint a very big picture...

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

A 2015 is quite capable of running macOS Monterey—macOS 12.6.2

Jan 5, 2023 8:23 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks much leroydouglas for your helps too. It is good to know I have the option of a newer macOS, will try that. My kid bought the latest MBP and gave me this 2015 he bought. It is still new and good enough for me, a PC user mainly. I may use it to get to know Mac more and use it for testing app to see how they run on Mac platforms.

How to reinstall macOS Sierra to n my 2015 Intel-based MacBookPro (MBP) after running the First Aid multiple times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.