Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo app is not saving new Fotos

Hello After Updating to Ventura, my Mac mini M1 is not storing new Photos on my Photos app.

My Photo app is on a external HD and this is also the System library. If i make a new Library on the mac, it works fine. But i have thousand of photos, so no place on internal HD.

All existing photos of the Library will be accessible. i tried some things i read in the Internet but nothing helps. The Info of the HD says i have limited rights on the HD. But it is not possible to change that? Please can you help me using photo app again.

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 8:30 AM

How is your external hard drive formatted? To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. When you select your external drive and type command-I for information, you can see the Format:

(Don't use case-sensitive unless you have to!)

Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted.

The bottom looks like this:

At the bottom it must say, "Ignore ownership of this Volume"

Does your drive look more or less like this? Let us know.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 8:30 AM in response to juergen198

How is your external hard drive formatted? To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. When you select your external drive and type command-I for information, you can see the Format:

(Don't use case-sensitive unless you have to!)

Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted.

The bottom looks like this:

At the bottom it must say, "Ignore ownership of this Volume"

Does your drive look more or less like this? Let us know.

Jan 5, 2023 9:44 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

It was ExFat Formated. Before it was working well. Now i can do also everything but the Photo app do not allow to store photos, but there is no message popping. Only processing for hours for one picture.

On Info the customer access is not to select, it shows only that i have limited access.

I transfer my data and try to format the HD, and i will check after.

Thanks for your information.

Jan 5, 2023 9:58 AM in response to juergen198

Good. APFS is the newest format.

Your experience is typical. ExFat will work long enough to make you think there is no problem, the BAM, it gets you.

I'm not sure if it matters, but if you have a backup from before the switch to Ventura, you should use that. There may have been some damage (probably not) when the new OS tried to use the ExFAT Library.

Photo app is not saving new Fotos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.