Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers, Have a Checkbox Automatically Check

I want a Checkbox to automatically "check" when a number in another cell reaches a specific Value. I'm new to "Numbers" but trying to get a grip on the best way to do things. while trying to progress.

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:07 AM

If you're new to Numbers you can find a lot of helpful information in the User Guide at Help > Numbers Help in your menu. Also helpful are Help > Formulas and Functions Help and the templates at File > New in your menu. Some of the templates use Checkbox.

Checkbox is a handy way to enter true or false and then display what you have entered. But it cannot be used to automatically display true or false depending on the value in another cell.

To display a visual checkmark based on, say, the value in B2 you could use a formula something like this:

=IF(B2>=5,"✓","")

That tells Numbers then display the ✓ character if the value in B2 is greater than or equal to 5, otherwise display nothing.

But that cell is just cosmetic. It can't be used for further calculations.

I typically would just use =B2>=5. . That automatically results in TRUE or FALSE, which can be used for further calculations.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 5:07 AM in response to jonpen69

If you're new to Numbers you can find a lot of helpful information in the User Guide at Help > Numbers Help in your menu. Also helpful are Help > Formulas and Functions Help and the templates at File > New in your menu. Some of the templates use Checkbox.

Checkbox is a handy way to enter true or false and then display what you have entered. But it cannot be used to automatically display true or false depending on the value in another cell.

To display a visual checkmark based on, say, the value in B2 you could use a formula something like this:

=IF(B2>=5,"✓","")

That tells Numbers then display the ✓ character if the value in B2 is greater than or equal to 5, otherwise display nothing.

But that cell is just cosmetic. It can't be used for further calculations.

I typically would just use =B2>=5. . That automatically results in TRUE or FALSE, which can be used for further calculations.

SG

Jan 5, 2023 5:47 AM in response to SGIII

thanks for getting back to me so swiftly!

you said. "Checkbox is a handy way to enter true or false and then display what you have entered. But it cannot be used to automatically display true or false depending on the value in another cell."

why not? could it not? seems a clean way to disply a result of something. numbers seems to do most other things but the simplest of things it does not....

Numbers, Have a Checkbox Automatically Check

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.