Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You don’t have permission to unlock the file

I have a shared directory an on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 iMac and I try to open a document on an macOS Monterrey 12.6 Mac Book Pro M1. When I start editing the file, Pages complains that the file is locked (the file is not open on the iMac and I have rebooted that machine just to be sure there are no dangling file handlers). When I click on the 'Unlock' button I get the You don’t have permission to unlock the file' message. I have the same user name on both machines. I access the server through afp:// but when I do Get Info on the file from my MacBook it shows smb:// .

Anybody has a the same issue and was able to solve?

Thanx for answering!

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:53 AM

There have been several posts noting access issues like this over SMB, but I don’t remember anyone having them on a Mac to Mac SMB connection.

All networking should be SMB, now. I don’t think you can get AFP unless you use connect to server. The Catalina/Intel Max should be able to host AFP.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 5, 2023 10:07 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hey Barney,

I solved the problem! This quite embarrassing and not the best moment for macOS:

I just ran: chmod 777 filename in the unix terminal!!!

now Pages does not complain anymore about the file being locked when I start editing it. I do not know why and to be honest I would even care less...

To Apple engineers: are you reading these channels? Can we fix this issue in a next release of macOS to get some basic file sharing right without the user being a nerd?

I may send an email to mr. Cook about it!!! :-D

Jan 6, 2023 1:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

well, just imagine an average user that does not know the difference between file server and file sharing (I am quite puzzled also by this distinction).

Apple should hide these nitty-gritty details from end users. Without my (a bit rusty) UNIX background I would never have solved this issue.

But then Apple is mostly about lip service lately, I guess.

Time to get a Linux box!!! :-)

Thanx anyway for you feedback!!!

Jan 7, 2023 12:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

I guess you're right: how many users will have 2 mac boxes at home/work on want to edit the same files on both machines. The simplest way to do that would be to put those document in the (i)cloud, but in case the document is sensitive you may not want to this.

That being said, the concept of file sharing and relative permissions is way to foggy for end-users.

I could 'solve' it because I know about Terminal and Unix commands, but how many users know about these?

I also wonder what happens in case 2 users edit the same file at the same moment? 🤓 Although I have 3 Macs I am not going to try that!

Again: thanx for the chat!

You don’t have permission to unlock the file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.