Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use an external monitor on an iMac (2010 intel i7 27 inch) that the graphics card isn't working

Hi all, I know I know this is a very old iMac but I use it occasionally with older software for editing because it's nice and large. I also have a MacBook Pro that I currently use, but I miss my desktop's screen and some of my programs that are not compatible with my current MacBook. So the question is this- can I use an external monitor with an iMac that looks like the graphics card isn't working? I know I'm probably not using the correct terminology. And if it's possible how would I do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 11:05 AM

1) The 2010 iMac is not compatible with newer late model 27" external displays.

2) You would need to buy and use a Mini DisplayPort to VGA or DVI adapter.

3) You would need to buy or have a VGA or DVI equipped external display.

4) Working would depend on what is actually wrong with the 2010 iMac.

IMHO you would be far better off replacing older programs with new ones and getting an external display for the MacBook Pro, instead of wasting any time or money on a 12 year old iMac. see > Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 11:05 AM in response to Jennifer Davis-Lewis

1) The 2010 iMac is not compatible with newer late model 27" external displays.

2) You would need to buy and use a Mini DisplayPort to VGA or DVI adapter.

3) You would need to buy or have a VGA or DVI equipped external display.

4) Working would depend on what is actually wrong with the 2010 iMac.

IMHO you would be far better off replacing older programs with new ones and getting an external display for the MacBook Pro, instead of wasting any time or money on a 12 year old iMac. see > Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Jan 5, 2023 1:19 PM in response to Jennifer Davis-Lewis

If the gfx card is not working, no external monitor will work either.

There are used/pulled gfx cards out there but the better ones tend to cost several times the realistic selling price of a used 2010 iMac. Also, you need some computer hardware skills of at least a stiff drink to remove and replace the card. A pro will likely charge 1 to 1.5 hours labor min at ~US$75-90/hour.

FWIW, my 2010 iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 died the same way in late 2018. Although I am comfortable working inside computers, I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a new iMac rather that lose work time shopping for and installing a new card.

Is it possible to use an external monitor on an iMac (2010 intel i7 27 inch) that the graphics card isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.