EyeTV and Ventura

Has anybody tried to use EyeTV4 after upgrading to Ventura? When I try to launch EyeTV, there is an immediate fail and error page. I have tried removing EyeTV Helper and reinstalling it but nothing seems to work.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 1:47 PM

I don't think the M1 is an issue. I was stumped when trying to get the diskimage program to open the dmg file because it used to open a window with the program file and you would slide it over to the Applications folder. That window did not appear and I tried it again and again. Then looking over at Finder on the left hand side menu I had all these 8528 images displaying under Locations. I clicked on one of those and lo and behold the EyeTV app and the Applications folder were there (see attached image). I did a drag/drop of the app into the Applications folder and then went to the Applications folder, clicked on the EyeTV app and presto, the program set-up assistant opened up and all I had to do was follow the prompts to move from screen to screen. I'll add a few more screen shots of EyeTV itself because they have made some changes to the way the old EyeTV worked. Also, use the little antenna they give you, it works very well. I have an outdoor digital antenna and using it found it did not pull in as many channels as the little antenna. Quality of display is excellent. BTW, I'm using the EyeTV U6 Thumbdrive on a 27" iMac with a 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with Ventura 13.2.1.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 1:47 PM in response to awoolman

I don't think the M1 is an issue. I was stumped when trying to get the diskimage program to open the dmg file because it used to open a window with the program file and you would slide it over to the Applications folder. That window did not appear and I tried it again and again. Then looking over at Finder on the left hand side menu I had all these 8528 images displaying under Locations. I clicked on one of those and lo and behold the EyeTV app and the Applications folder were there (see attached image). I did a drag/drop of the app into the Applications folder and then went to the Applications folder, clicked on the EyeTV app and presto, the program set-up assistant opened up and all I had to do was follow the prompts to move from screen to screen. I'll add a few more screen shots of EyeTV itself because they have made some changes to the way the old EyeTV worked. Also, use the little antenna they give you, it works very well. I have an outdoor digital antenna and using it found it did not pull in as many channels as the little antenna. Quality of display is excellent. BTW, I'm using the EyeTV U6 Thumbdrive on a 27" iMac with a 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with Ventura 13.2.1.

Jun 4, 2023 9:32 AM in response to dbcoldrick

Hooray! So glad you figured it out! My internet service was interrupted for three days and I thank the stars I had EyeTV. Was able to record my favorite TV programs and no internet needed! I get 33 solid channels, all with my favorite content. The same package would cost me up to $90 a month from Comcast (my 'net provider). EyeTV is a great bargain!

Apr 13, 2023 5:53 PM in response to johnfromtas

Are you two in the US? This software version does appear as an English version but as the EU version, not the EN. I have downloaded 8528 four times and each time it refuses to open. I tried all the other versions of 85**, they open and install but quit unexpectedly providing a full sheet of system information. I am using Ventura 13.1.1

How did you get the 8528 to open?

I sent a request for help to Support but have heard nothing back. The EYETV U6 is advertised on Amazon as working on Mac: OS X 10.6.8 or later.

Apr 14, 2023 10:37 AM in response to johnfromtas

I received an email from Geniatech today and they said:

Please uninstall the current eyetv software COMPLETELY by Eyetv Reporter, and reinstall the new one. After a clean setup of the settings, then check your problem again.

Eyetv Reporter download site:

After that please download the eyetv 4 software with version 8528:

Please download the Eyetv 4 software version 8528 from the following link. Version 8528 is compatible with macOS Ventura 13.0

EyeTV Reporter worked just fine, removed all traces of EyeTV from my system. I downloaded the 8528 file and it will not open. I had no problem opening the other 85** versions but 8528 just won't open. I ran disk utility to see if it needed repair but it came up clean. I downloaded two more copies thinking maybe it became corrupt during the initial download but it still will not open. I've written them back asking for assistance. There is no reason why 8528 should not open using the standard DiskImageMounter. I've never had this problem before. When clicked on, it bounces but does nothing else. Can you think of any other way to obtain the 8528 file directly rather than in the dmg format?

Note: when I originaly sought out the 8528 on the site it was there but described as 8528 (EU). I'm wondering if it refuses to open because it is in another language and not EN but that's just a guess.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Apr 14, 2023 10:42 AM in response to johnfromtas

Ahhh ... Elgato. I believe they must have branched off from Geniatech (or maybe Geniatech purchased the Elgato product line) because I have an Elgato TubeStick which is the same thing as the Geniatech thumbdrives. My product of choice was the Elgato eyeTV 250 plus. I have two unopened copies and I tried my used one but it will not install. It is nice to know that someone else in this world (Australia) uses eyeTV. I really miss it because I used to record all my programs, edit out the commercials and save to external drives. I can't do that now so I really want to make this new eyeTV u6 work. Thanks for your quick response.

Apr 14, 2023 1:44 PM in response to TheOS2Guy

Ok guys, forgive me. Ventura's diskimage program did open the 8529.dmg file - not the way I was used to. It now opens a folder with the app and the applications folder. I was used to the icon view where you slid the app over to the applications folder. The new way is the same concept.

So I'm able to report EyeTV v4 is now installed and working like a charm - and I'm using that little antenna that was included in the box. Picture quality is exceptional and I have 70 or so channels! Waahooo! I do have a fine digital antenna purchased from Radio Shack years ago but I'll need to get an extension for the cable - altho I may not need it at all. Finally I have TV! Thanks so much for all your help, I'm sure I sounded like a crazy person!

May 5, 2023 2:00 PM in response to TheOS2Guy

Thanks so much for your ultra rapid reply. Your solution worked perfectly and it runs sweetly on my MBP. Except that I haven't used EyeTV for a long time but have a bunch of recordings that I digitised some time ago and cannot read. Areal TV is pretty much defunct here in Switzerland anyhow. As my old licence is not valid any more, I guess that I shall have to buy the full kit anyhow.

Thanks again. At least I know that it will work!

Jul 29, 2023 11:21 AM in response to johnfromtas

I have EyeTV (8528) installed, it kinda works. One of the problems I have is that I am not able to set the folder where the EyeTV Achieve is stored. When going to Settings and clicking upon the Record button, EyeTV dies. I have been filling out the crash dumps and support forms to Geniatech for almost two years. They are unresponsive. Can others modify the recordings folder location? Thanks, Namaste

Aug 20, 2023 1:31 PM in response to johnfromtas

Geneitech support gave me a link to download eyeTV 4. The link on their website was giving me a different version of eyetv4. I downloaded and installed version 8528 many months later from MEGA... 19 Aug 23

I have a 250plus on a 2018 mac mini. EyeTV 4 works great accept one annoying problem - after a scheduled recording, the buffer continues to record the recoded channels content. This causes the MAC to stay on for hours if eyeTV is not quit.

Anyone have a solution?

Aug 20, 2023 1:47 PM in response to J Schuh

I am am using mac mini 2018 with eyeTV250plus. EyeTV 4 works fine accept for the buffer problem...post below

The setting preference for recording allows me to select the folder eyeTV uses to create another folder called, "EyeTV Archive", it doesn't crash.

Try using eyeTV reporter to delete eyeTV, and then download a new copy. Make sure it says version 8528. I was getting the wrong version when I first downloaded it months ago.

EyeTV and Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.