Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

I cannot use the remote app for new Apple TV. My phone notifies me whenever the keyboard appears on the tv, but the remote on phone does not control anything. My sons phone works great. We tried unplugging to reset but did not work. Anyone else have a thought?

my sons iPhone is logged in to his account but he can use the Apple TV remote on his phone. Mine used to work when first got unit, then a couple days later it no longer worked. I think it might have been after an iOS update on the phone. October 2022

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 6:35 PM

When using the software remote on iPhone with an Apple TV box, then both devices need to connect to the same home network. A phone only connected to cellular will not work for this function. So verify the Wi-Fi connection on your phone, to match the network of the Apple TV box.

When using the software remote on iPhone, you should see a drop-down selector at the top, in case more than one compatible device is detected. Make sure your intended Apple TV box is selected there by name.

Relevant support document: Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What are the models iPhone? Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

What are their versions iOS? Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

What is the model Apple TV box? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is its version system software? (Settings﹥General﹥About﹥tvOS﹥)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 6:35 PM in response to Chuck From Oakdale

When using the software remote on iPhone with an Apple TV box, then both devices need to connect to the same home network. A phone only connected to cellular will not work for this function. So verify the Wi-Fi connection on your phone, to match the network of the Apple TV box.

When using the software remote on iPhone, you should see a drop-down selector at the top, in case more than one compatible device is detected. Make sure your intended Apple TV box is selected there by name.

Relevant support document: Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What are the models iPhone? Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

What are their versions iOS? Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

What is the model Apple TV box? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is its version system software? (Settings﹥General﹥About﹥tvOS﹥)

Jan 5, 2023 10:49 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for the reply. I have not tried the links yet. I have an iPhone 13 Pro and last years appletv. They are both on the same Wi-Fi network. I only have the one appletv. At the top of the software remote it says living room as that is what the Apple TV is named. The functions just do not work. I’ll check the links and give an update tomorrow.

Jan 7, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I have tried everything I can. My phone pairs with the Apple TV by placing it near then putting in the code. But then when you select it on the remote app, it says connecting, waits a couple seconds and doesn’t connect. Every other phone including friends works fine so I’m guessing it’s my phone. I will contact apple support.

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.