Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring to a new phone

I’m upgrading to an iphone XS to the 14 pro. I’ve basically never backed up my icloud and am worried it’ll affect something when I go to transfer data from the old phone to the new one. Once the data is complete, I hope to keep the old phone and give it away to someone else to use. However when I erase all data from it, wont it keep my number? How does that work? Will both phones forever have the same number? I want my new phone to have my old phone’s number but then what number will my old phone have?

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 7:21 PM

Click on this link --> Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support to learn how to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Select Quickstart. The other two options rely upon you having a backup and/or using iCloud.

Also see this article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

It includes a section on erasing your device.

As for transferring phone service, contact your cellular provider about doing that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 7:21 PM in response to WhiteWolverine

Click on this link --> Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support to learn how to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Select Quickstart. The other two options rely upon you having a backup and/or using iCloud.

Also see this article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

It includes a section on erasing your device.

As for transferring phone service, contact your cellular provider about doing that.

Transferring to a new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.