Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printer not working after 13.1 update

Hi, after the 13.1 MacOS update, my Epson printer is not working/connecting. Following is my environment and steps thus far.

Hardware/Software - MacBook Air, 8Gb, M1, MacOSX Ventura 13.1, Epson ET-3700 printer, all connected on home wifi network.

Steps done so far:

1. Remove then add printer. Printer shows in the add printer dialogue box, click add, but then fails at the 'setting up' dialog box with the error message returning 'Unable to communicate with the printer at this time'
  2. Reset Priniting system, then re-try the steps above. Same result.
  3. Download drivers from Epson web site and get similar error when trying to connect to the printer. Check drivers on printer, uptodate no problems there.
  4. Check other Apple/Windows devices on the network, all can see, connect and print to the printer.
  5. Try steps above multiple times, same result.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 4:11 AM

You mention you downloaded drivers from Epson. But according to Apple, you don't need drivers as this model is supported by Apple Airprint. Can you remove the drivers from your Macbook, then reboot, then try again according to these two articles?

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 4:11 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

You mention you downloaded drivers from Epson. But according to Apple, you don't need drivers as this model is supported by Apple Airprint. Can you remove the drivers from your Macbook, then reboot, then try again according to these two articles?

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Feb 11, 2023 10:13 AM in response to bbqbo

bbqbo wrote:

Epson has not provided
a driver capable of printing double-sided with the newest MAC
operating system, 13.1. How long until they do provide such a driver
is anybody's guess. There is no way provided on the Epson website to
contact the company for actual support. If one's support issue is not
addressed already on their website, you are out of luck. I endured
years of lousy software and connection issues with my last Epson
printer. Seven years after I bought that machine, they finally had
worked most of the bugs out of the software. By that time, however
the all-in-one was obsolete, Epson didn't provide scanner support for
MACOS 13. I had to buy a new machine. I had hoped they had improved
support by now. Will I have to wait 7 years for Epson to support
duplex printing on a MAC?

I have a Canon multi-function printer/scanner purchased in 2010 and an Epson multi-function printer/scanner purchased in 2015. I would love for them to stop working to justify purchase of newer, faster, devices! But as I have advanced the MacOS over time, which each new MacOS I typically would remove the devices from the Printers & Scanner Preference Pane or System Settings, then download the latest drivers and software, reinstall, then add the printer/scanner back. Both print two-sided and scan fine. I have some older and newer Macs in use, ranging from MacOS Big Sur through Ventura. You can scan with either the manufacturer software or simply use Image Capture (a native Apple application). Sometimes the two-sided option is buried in a sub-menu, it is not always obvious, so the companies' user interface could probably be improved. Some of Canon's utilities stopped working (dating from 2010) because they were 32 bit, but the printing and scanning is fine and at least for my Epson (XP-820) which I purchased 8 years ago, Epson has continued to provide updated drivers and firmware and is still supporting the device with Ventura. Not to say yours is still properly supported, but you might try the complete uninstall and reinstall approach, that's what I have done.

Feb 1, 2023 2:13 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

Generally, the Printer needs to be using the Same Network Connection as the Computer.

Further, the printer needs to be connected to the Router via the 2.4 Ghz protocol and Not over the 5 Ghz.

At least my ET 2750Epson clearing make mention of this.

The Apple Machines I use all connect to and use the 5 Ghz protocol but the ET2750 connection is the 2.4 Ghz and prints , scans fine use Apple AirPrint

Feb 8, 2023 4:53 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

Generally, once the Router has Stopped broadcasting in the 5 GHz band - the computer will flip its' connection to the lower 2.4 GHz Band.

You may need to get into the Router to make sure the 2.4 GHz broadcast Band is set to Broadcast Only in the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

Otherwise if set to Auto - it is possible it can Still Auto Broadcast in Both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz

Image below

Jan 6, 2023 3:53 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

Sometimes the issue may be fixed by Removing the Printer from Computer.

Shutdown the Printer

Shutdown the Router

Restart Router

Restart Printer and re-establish an Internet Connection from Printer to Router

Link below from Epson specific to this Printer

https://epson.ca/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/Epson-ET-3700/s/SPT_C11CG21201#faq-8796127635532

https://epson.ca/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/Epson-ET-3700/s/SPT_C11CG21201#drivers

Jan 6, 2023 4:28 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

The previous Contributor makes some very good Technical observations regarding AirPrint.

Which should not require additional Third Party Printer Drivers

To compare, running an Epson ET 2750 Printer / Scanner and AirPrint works just fine without Epson Drivers.

Though, I did need the Scanner Driver in-order to Scan wirelessly

Feb 1, 2023 1:35 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you. Yes, I have tried this, several times, and still the same result. To be clear - the Apple MacBook Air can 'see' the pricnter on the network when selecting to add a printer, but fails and timesout on setting up the printer. Still does not explain why the printer stopped working after the update as it was an existing printer.

Feb 1, 2023 1:40 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you. Yes, I have tried this, several times, and still the same result. To be clear - the Apple MacBook Air can 'see' the printer on the network when selecting to add a printer, but fails and timesout on setting up the printer. Still does not explain why the printer stopped working after the update as it was an existing printer.

Feb 11, 2023 9:25 AM in response to MarkyMarkOz

Epson has not provided

a driver capable of printing double-sided with the newest MAC

operating system, 13.1. How long until they do provide such a driver

is anybody's guess. There is no way provided on the Epson website to

contact the company for actual support. If one's support issue is not

addressed already on their website, you are out of luck. I endured

years of lousy software and connection issues with my last Epson

printer. Seven years after I bought that machine, they finally had

worked most of the bugs out of the software. By that time, however

the all-in-one was obsolete, Epson didn't provide scanner support for

MACOS 13. I had to buy a new machine. I had hoped they had improved

support by now. Will I have to wait 7 years for Epson to support

duplex printing on a MAC?

printer not working after 13.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.