Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up with a Time Machine

Hi, I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and I have a Time Machine which was bought about 10 years ago. For the past year or so it has failed to run backups. How do I get it backing up again? Do I need to buy an external drive?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 3:42 PM

Under "Backup Disks" select the existing backup disk — the one named "Data". Click Remove Disk. Confirm the selection that appears next, "Stop Using This Disk."

The Preferences pane will then ask you to select a backup disk. It will appear under "Available Disks" exactly as it does now. Select that disk, then Use Disk.

You may or may not encounter a dialog informing you that you are already using that disk and if you want to continue using it or start a new backup. That choice is up to you. If you choose to start a new backup, the existing backup will be erased.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 3:42 PM in response to PhilC101

Under "Backup Disks" select the existing backup disk — the one named "Data". Click Remove Disk. Confirm the selection that appears next, "Stop Using This Disk."

The Preferences pane will then ask you to select a backup disk. It will appear under "Available Disks" exactly as it does now. Select that disk, then Use Disk.

You may or may not encounter a dialog informing you that you are already using that disk and if you want to continue using it or start a new backup. That choice is up to you. If you choose to start a new backup, the existing backup will be erased.

Jan 6, 2023 5:25 AM in response to PhilC101

If you bought something it was a Time Capsule. Time Machine is software included with your Mac.

Time Machine needs a backup drive, and since your profile indicates you're using an iMac, the implication is that is has to be an external drive. Read Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support and describe which of those options you are using. If it is a Time Capsule, the simple first question to ask is its LED status. It is on? If it is not illuminated then the Time Capsule either has no power or it has failed internally.

If it is on, what color is it, and is it flashing or not?

Jan 6, 2023 9:12 AM in response to PhilC101

Are you unable to select "Data" at all, either under heading?

Assuming that's the case it's not normal. I vaguely recall having run into that problem before, but please confirm that's the problem you are encountering. In the meantime I will research what I needed to do to fix it. It's on Apple Communities... somewhere.

Edit: Here it is Can't add or subtract disks for Time Mach… - Apple Community.

Try the solution described in that Discussion. If it doesn't work I may be out of ideas, but let me know.

Backing up with a Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.