Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup chime interrupted, iMac 24" M1 2021 Monterey 12.6.2

Hi all,

on startup, the startup chime doesn't complete. It is abruptly cut off, the white apple logo on black background disappears briefly, then comes up again, then the login fields appear and I can log in to my Mac.

Is this a symptom of something? Can it be fixed?

The computer works normally, it is a newly purchased refurbished machine.

Just updated to 12.6.2, no change.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) Monterey 12.6.2

Thank you for any input, best regards

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 11:31 AM

Hello hammett82,

Exactly the same issue on my iMac (same machine, same OS).

I realized it seems linked to the fact I power my mac from a general power switch that I turn off after shutting down the computer. If I let the switch always on, my mac starts normally.

I also tried to reset the PRAM (alt+cmd+P+R at startup) but it didn't fix the issue.

Best Regards

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 11:31 AM in response to hammett92

Hello hammett82,

Exactly the same issue on my iMac (same machine, same OS).

I realized it seems linked to the fact I power my mac from a general power switch that I turn off after shutting down the computer. If I let the switch always on, my mac starts normally.

I also tried to reset the PRAM (alt+cmd+P+R at startup) but it didn't fix the issue.

Best Regards

Feb 15, 2023 11:39 AM in response to hammett92

Hi Hammett,

Thanks for finding this information, always useful to know the "why".

By the way, I reached out to Apple Support about this issue and they advised me to upgrade to the latest OS (Ventura 13.2) to fix the problem, and it did ! Now I can switch off completely my mac after shutdown as before and the startup is doing fine when powered back in.

startup chime interrupted, iMac 24" M1 2021 Monterey 12.6.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.