Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPad Air 5th gen. using 96W power supply

Hi

My audio interface (Focursrite 2i2) and my midi keyboard are both connected to my iPad via a docking station. The docking station features a 100W PD port. However, the 20W power supply as delivered with my iPad isn’t sufficient for delivering power to all the devices.

So I went to a partner store of Apple to buy a 96W MacBook power supply. Staff that told me that day 96W power supply for an iPad would be way too strong and that it would destroy my iPads battery. Now I am rather confused. The wattage of a power supply shouldn’t be “too strong” for anything, should it?

so my question is can I connect a 96 W MacBook power supply to an iPad 5th generation?

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 12:39 PM

The key factor to establish compatibility of a Power Adapter with your iPad are the Power Adapter specifications. If the Power Adapter specifies compatibility with USB PD (Power Delivery), you can use the Power Adapter with your iPad.

Many models of iPad, released in recent years, support USB PD Fast Charging. iPad does not support other proprietary charging standards - such as QC (Quick Charge). When using standard or non-compliant USB Power Adapters, your iPad will limit charging to 2.4A @5V (i.e., 12W). When using USB PD, the maximum charging rate increases to ~18-20W - determined by the power profile used by the USB PD Power Adapter.

Higher wattage USB PD Power Adapters will offer no benefit for charging the iPad, but will provide a greater power budget to power peripheral USB devices.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 12:39 PM in response to sascha70

The key factor to establish compatibility of a Power Adapter with your iPad are the Power Adapter specifications. If the Power Adapter specifies compatibility with USB PD (Power Delivery), you can use the Power Adapter with your iPad.

Many models of iPad, released in recent years, support USB PD Fast Charging. iPad does not support other proprietary charging standards - such as QC (Quick Charge). When using standard or non-compliant USB Power Adapters, your iPad will limit charging to 2.4A @5V (i.e., 12W). When using USB PD, the maximum charging rate increases to ~18-20W - determined by the power profile used by the USB PD Power Adapter.

Higher wattage USB PD Power Adapters will offer no benefit for charging the iPad, but will provide a greater power budget to power peripheral USB devices.

Jan 6, 2023 8:17 AM in response to sascha70

Yes, you can. The staff member who told you this was mistaken.

The iPad will manage its own charging and cannot be overcharged.

All USB-C chargers made by Apple can be used with all Apple devices that accept USB-C charging and power delivery just fine. There should be no issue using that charger with your iPad and the other connected devices.

Jan 6, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank you very much indeed, I thought so.

I know, you cannot say anything about third party devices and you of course recommend original Apple equipment, but could you give me any hint concerning e.g. this one by LMP? Could ist work with an iPad without you giving me any guarantees? Just hypothetical? https://lmp-adapter.com/product/lmp-usb-c-power-adapter-96w/

Charging iPad Air 5th gen. using 96W power supply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.