Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download ringtone on new device

Hi,

I’ve upgraded to a new device but cannot download my purchased ringtones back. I’ve tried restoring and clicking on ‘Download Purchased Tones’ but I cannot get my ringtones back and I still have to purchase them on the store. Any solution for this?

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 2:09 PM

Hi Craig,

Do you still have the purchased ringtones in question on another device?

I presume you've looked at Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. A key detail might be this one:

You may not be able to re-download some previously purchased tones.

If I recall purchased ringtones were originally a one-time deal that you needed to get backed up into iTunes and look after, but iTunes 12.7 removed built in support for tones in iTunes, which might have been when they changed the rules. Personally I've always rolled my own as described in Create and manage ringtones - Apple Community. If you cannot get the purchased tones back you may need to take the same approach.

You might reach out to Official Apple Support in case they can restore the ringtones to your purchase history somehow.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 2:09 PM in response to CraigMcGregor96

Hi Craig,

Do you still have the purchased ringtones in question on another device?

I presume you've looked at Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. A key detail might be this one:

You may not be able to re-download some previously purchased tones.

If I recall purchased ringtones were originally a one-time deal that you needed to get backed up into iTunes and look after, but iTunes 12.7 removed built in support for tones in iTunes, which might have been when they changed the rules. Personally I've always rolled my own as described in Create and manage ringtones - Apple Community. If you cannot get the purchased tones back you may need to take the same approach.

You might reach out to Official Apple Support in case they can restore the ringtones to your purchase history somehow.

tt2

Jan 7, 2023 6:08 AM in response to CraigMcGregor96

Actually have an answer on this - I caved and decided to begrudgingly buy back the 99p ringtone I had on my previous device. After confirming the payment, a notification popped up stating something along the lines that if you buy and download a ringtone and then switch device 90 days later, you cannot auto-transfer it. You need to manually find the ringtone and install it back. Bizarre why it does this as clicking on a purchasable tone or song is a bit misleading but there we go.

Unable to download ringtone on new device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.