Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 11s top speaker keeps making a screeching noise

whenever i play any sound on my phone at a low volume or try to listen to a phone call the front speaker makes a screeching sound that drives me insane! i cant figure out why either. this really hinders my ability to make/ answer phone call as the persons voice is drowned out by the awful noise.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 3:41 PM

Hi there,

Please try this steps in order to see if you can fix this sound coming from your speaker

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own. After following these steps, you may still need to contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

1. Remove all screen protectors, films or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the opening of the speaker to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you can't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker may need to be serviced.
  5. If you can hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear anything, or you hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try calling again later or from a different location.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 3:41 PM in response to 0smos1s

Hi there,

Please try this steps in order to see if you can fix this sound coming from your speaker

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own. After following these steps, you may still need to contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

1. Remove all screen protectors, films or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the opening of the speaker to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you can't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker may need to be serviced.
  5. If you can hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear anything, or you hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try calling again later or from a different location.

iphone 11s top speaker keeps making a screeching noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.