You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone losing GPS signal, even after new phone

This started with my iPhone 11 Pro while using the phone for DoorDash delivery. Whether I used the native app, or the one within DoorDash or Waze. The gps signal marker would constantly freeze or wander sideways or up and down the screen. Read a few things on Google, thought it was a problem with that model. Just bought a brand new iPhone SE 3rd gen and having the exact same problem. I don’t know if there is an app causing this or what. Any help is appreciated.

iPhone SE (Gen 3)

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 2:30 PM

I have tried turning location services off and on, and changing all app permissions to at least only while using that way there is only one app using GPS at a time. I have restarted the phone, the apps, everything. It still messes up and loses signal nearly every day.

5 replies

Jan 9, 2023 2:38 PM in response to chadgatlin

Here is what I have tried (all have failed to solve the problem):

Turn location services off and on

Restart phone

Turn off other apps using GPS

Buy a new phone

Turn off WiFi

Use a different navigation app

Make sure software is up to date

It still freezes, loses signal, or goes wonky on the screen. This has happened on 2 different iPhones - surely someone else has had the problem. I use the GPS multiple times daily as I drive for DoorDash. This is costing me money because the app relies on GPS to assign deliveries, and to route to pickups and dropoffs.

Jan 9, 2023 12:25 PM in response to chadgatlin

GPS requires a clear view of the sky in all directions. It can be blocked by tall buildings, heavy foliage above you, or, more specifically for cars, tinted windshields and windows. In a car the phone needs to be close to the windshield.

You also need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on, as they can supplement the weak satellite signals with the location of known Wi-Fi networks.

Jan 9, 2023 2:33 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I keep my phone mounted on the dash just the windshield between it and the sky. This doesn't happen for just a moment while in shade and then finds signal again - it happens and stays messed up for a long time each time. I have tried with Wi-Fi off and on. and Bluetooth is on. No tinted windows. The only possible interference would be the car's GPS - but I doubt that.

Jan 9, 2023 12:18 PM in response to chadgatlin

Hi there chadgatlin,

You'll want to start by making sure Location Services are turned on for the apps you use for navigation.

Some apps might not work unless you turn on Location Services.

Follow these steps to be sure your settings are correct:

How to turn Location Services on or off for specific apps
1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
2. Make sure that Location Services is on.
3. Scroll down to find the app.
4. Tap the app and select an option:
- Never: Prevents access to Location Services information.
- Ask Next Time: This allows you to choose Always While Using App, Allow Once, or Don't Allow.
- While Using the App: Allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.
- Always: Allows access to your location even when the app is in the background.

You'll find this information here: Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you have Location Services turned on, but you're still having difficulty seeing the correct location on your device, try the steps in the 'If you can't find your current location on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch' section of this link: If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

Take care.

iPhone losing GPS signal, even after new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.