Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone's storage is acting weirdly

Hi, I'm Scenn, I have a wierd problem with my Iphone 6S Plus's storage. As you know, 64GB version and 32GB version always make users worry about the moment the storage would be full. And I'm the same as them, my phone has 64GB and ...GB used. I said "...GB" because, sometimes I get to check the storage, it said 42/64GB used, sometimes 43GB used, sometimes back to 42GB or even 41GB used. Well, it was not a big problem but i felt worried after I know it. Today, in the morning, the phone said 43.3/64 GB used and just few hours later, in the afternoon, it said 49.5 GB used and I was shocked by it. Please help me find out the problem also the solution too. I also found out that the System Data own most of my total storage (22.8GB) and how to clear it? Just the IOS + System Data is 30GB and now I'm disappointed about that wierd thing.

BTW Thanks much!

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 5:02 PM

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I've tried all the methods. However, I don't think the problem is just about heavy downloaded apps. The system data own majority of the space, exactly 27 GB in storage, here it is:

3 replies

Jan 9, 2023 2:50 PM in response to ScennDaArtest

Hey there ScennDaArtest,

We understand you're noticing that your iPhone storage changes frequently. We'd be happy to help you manage your storage.

The changes may be related to the apps you're using throughout the day. Use the steps here to free up storage on your iPhone: How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad

Use your device to check its storage
1. Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage. You might see a list of recommendations for optimizing your device's storage, followed by a list of installed apps and the amount of storage each one uses.
2. Tap an app's name for more information about its storage. Cached data and temporary data might not be counted as usage.
In the detailed view you can:
- Offload the app, which frees up storage used by the app, but keeps its documents and data.
- Delete the app, which removes the app and its related data.
- Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its documents and data.
If your device is almost full and can't free up space, you might get a Storage Almost Full alert. If you see this alert, you should check the storage recommendations or you need to offload some less-used content like videos and apps. 

Regards.

Jan 9, 2023 6:54 PM in response to ScennDaArtest

Good evening Scenn,

We want to make sure you have a backup of your iPhone 6s Plus before attempting additional troubleshooting.

We suggest backing up to iCloud and also to a computer following the instructions below:

Back up iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Do you have iCloud enabled for Contacts, Calendars, Notes, etc? If so, this data will not be included in an iCloud backup as it already exists in iCloud.

How iCloud keeps information up to date across all your devices

Once your backup is in place, reach out to Apple for additional help with the System Data on this iPhone:

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

My iPhone's storage is acting weirdly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.