Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up my back up disk to a 2nd external disk and exclude the HDD/SDD in the mac itself in OSX Ventura? The internal drive is not visible in the 'Exclude from backup' menu.

How to back up my back up disk to a 2nd external disk and exclude the internal HDD/SDD in the Mac itself in OSX Ventura? The internal drive is not visible in the 'Exclude from backup' menu. I want to make a back up of my Time Machine external drive to another external drive without backing up the internal drive a second time. This was easy in previous OSX versions.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 5:08 AM

No longer possible to Backup a The Machine Backup Drive to another External Drive.

Not even possible to use a Third Party Cloning Software to Clone the TM Backup Drive to another External Drive

TM Backup Drives are in the APFS Drive format are are rendered by the Operating System as Read Only

Beside, TM Backup since macOS 10.15 does not include at Full, Complete, Functional Working copy of the Operating System

It will only backup the contents of the User Account ( Home Folder ) of this machine.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 5:08 AM in response to Arthur Visser1

No longer possible to Backup a The Machine Backup Drive to another External Drive.

Not even possible to use a Third Party Cloning Software to Clone the TM Backup Drive to another External Drive

TM Backup Drives are in the APFS Drive format are are rendered by the Operating System as Read Only

Beside, TM Backup since macOS 10.15 does not include at Full, Complete, Functional Working copy of the Operating System

It will only backup the contents of the User Account ( Home Folder ) of this machine.

Jan 8, 2023 9:59 AM in response to Arthur Visser1

It was never a good idea to do it before. Time Machine isn't designed to make a backup of its own backup.

The old HFS+ backups were essentially a duplicate of the Mac, so backing that up would probably result in the same thing, but you would have to somehow restore that backup, then restore for the restore.

The APFS backup isn't configured the same, so backing it up would probably not work at all.

How to back up my back up disk to a 2nd external disk and exclude the HDD/SDD in the mac itself in OSX Ventura? The internal drive is not visible in the 'Exclude from backup' menu.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.