Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change computer input to 1920x1080@60Hz

Hi

I've been using a Phillips 273V7Q display monitor with my laptop for some time now. Today it just stopped working and says "Cannot display this video mode. Change computer display input to 1900x1080@60Hz." I can't make changes in my Macbook Air to the display unless the display is connected. Unfortunately, I had the display set as my main display. That means that when it is connected my Mac does not display anything and has no live buttons.

This is now a circular problem that I can't seem to resolve and I have tried shutting down and updating my mac to the latest Ventura OS. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor. Nothing seems to work.

In summary, I can't make changes to the display input on my mac unless I connect the display. When I connect the display everything transfers to the Phillips monitor. I cannot see what is on the Phillips monitor as it requires me to change the display input on my mac.

Can anyone help please? I am at my wits end and about to start tearing my hair out! Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 1:00 AM

Thank you Rendall. I was unable to remove the external display because my mac screen was disabled whilst the external display was connected. Meanwhile, I couldn't make any changes unless the external display was connected. Unfortunately, as it was the wrong Hz, I could not see anything on that display.

Thankfully, much later, I gave it another try and found that my mac screen was no longer disabled and was able to change the display to 60Hz and that solved the problem. The main problem was created because when it was working fine previously, I had mistakenly set the external display as the main display thereby transferring everything to that display. Thank you for trying to assist me.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 1:00 AM in response to Randall_2023

Thank you Rendall. I was unable to remove the external display because my mac screen was disabled whilst the external display was connected. Meanwhile, I couldn't make any changes unless the external display was connected. Unfortunately, as it was the wrong Hz, I could not see anything on that display.

Thankfully, much later, I gave it another try and found that my mac screen was no longer disabled and was able to change the display to 60Hz and that solved the problem. The main problem was created because when it was working fine previously, I had mistakenly set the external display as the main display thereby transferring everything to that display. Thank you for trying to assist me.

Jan 8, 2023 4:30 AM in response to remi233

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right

Jan 9, 2023 1:58 AM in response to remi233

I am glad that you got things working.

I still wish you'd explain how you got your internal display disabled.

Your explanation that you set the external as "main" does not hold water, because that does NOT disable the internal display.

I have two displays, like you, and many mac users. I can choose any display as the main, and that has never disabled the other one

Jan 8, 2023 5:46 AM in response to remi233

If I understand you correctly, you are no longer able to see a screen display on either the external monitor or the MacBook Air display? If that is correct, then entering safe mode and remove the reference to the external display and change it from being the main display until such time you resolve the monitor problem (removing the circular problem). At least then you can use the MacBook Air. As a second suggestion, I realize will be inconvenient, can you try a new cable to replace the one you use now? This at least will insure it's not just a possible cable problem.

Jan 9, 2023 1:17 AM in response to remi233

How did you configure your system to disable your internal display? This is something that I did not think was possible. Figuring out how you did that may lead us to find the way to undo it.

FWIW, I have had people asking how to disable the built-in display when connecting an external, and the answer (not just from me) was always that it could nog be done. So learning this may help you, and it may help others.

In the meantime, a few thoughts: Command-F1 is used to toggle between mirroring and extended display. Maybe this can jolt things up.

There is probably a .plist file that we can delete but I am not sure exactly which. I will try to dig deeper.

Jan 9, 2023 1:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis

I was able to do that from System Settings > Displays and there, after you've added an additional display, you can choose if the external display should be the main display. Everything moves over to that display.

Now that I have resolved my issue, I have now chosen for the additional display to be a mirror. As a result, I am able to close my mac and use just the external display, which is what I was trying to do in the first place.

Thanks very much for your input.

how to change computer input to 1920x1080@60Hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.