Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share an existing iCloud Photo Library?

I do not want to create a new shared library but to simply share the one that already exists in my iCloud. Is this possible?

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 7:37 AM

The Shared Library and your private iCloud Photos Library go together. When you enable the Shared iCloud Photos Library, the photos will be shared from your existing iCloud Photos Library. You cannot even prevent the photos being moved from your existing iCloud Photos Library to the shared library. You have several options for automatic sharing. You can set up the Shared library so that all your photos will automatically be shared (but not the hidden photos), or you can decide that all new photos taken with the camera will automatically be shared, or you can share manually selected photos as you go.

The Shared Library will be shown, when you view your iCloud Photos Library. There is a toggle switch to display your private Photos Library, the Shared Library, or both together. I have selectively shared just my photos and videos, that I have marked as Favourites. When I view my iCloud Photos Library with the toggle switch set to "Both Libraries, my iCloud Photos Library is looking just like before I have shared the photos. The shared photos are shown in the same albums as before.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 7:37 AM in response to Geoffrey Kleinman

The Shared Library and your private iCloud Photos Library go together. When you enable the Shared iCloud Photos Library, the photos will be shared from your existing iCloud Photos Library. You cannot even prevent the photos being moved from your existing iCloud Photos Library to the shared library. You have several options for automatic sharing. You can set up the Shared library so that all your photos will automatically be shared (but not the hidden photos), or you can decide that all new photos taken with the camera will automatically be shared, or you can share manually selected photos as you go.

The Shared Library will be shown, when you view your iCloud Photos Library. There is a toggle switch to display your private Photos Library, the Shared Library, or both together. I have selectively shared just my photos and videos, that I have marked as Favourites. When I view my iCloud Photos Library with the toggle switch set to "Both Libraries, my iCloud Photos Library is looking just like before I have shared the photos. The shared photos are shown in the same albums as before.

Can I share an existing iCloud Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.