Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Legacy Thunderbolt 2 Displays Not Supported on the M1 Mac Mini

Like most in this community I love Apple products and have used them for over 10 years or more. During that time hardware has evolved and we collate monitors and repurpose them as we upgrade our computers or laptops.

I like many read the tech specs and called Apple but could not get a definitive answer as to why the Mini M1 does not support dual Thunderbolt displays, especially when they only take 4K of the 6K available.

I've spent the best part of a day fiddling with this having had 2 x Apple 27" Thunderbolt Displays working happily on my Mid 2015 - 15 " Mac Book Pro - (well not so happy, it throttles due to the heat and noisy fans of the Intel era just give you a head ache).

My finding so far are that the Mac mini M1 can support only a single Thunderbolt Display on both ports individually but not at the same time. Sometimes it displays on left another on the right. (I Purchased 2 adapters to try this).

I also have at Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable so I removed one adapter and monitor and added the cable to daisy chain. This actually gave me some interesting results of which I found by accident.

If a mouse is plugged into the daisy chained monitor, even though the display is black the mouse is working.

Also Music plays from the black monitor and not the display that is working.

Therefore the conclusion is that only the Video signal is some how blocked.

My assumption is that Apple are restricting this via software so that no more than 6K video can be drawn on the channel.

If this is software related we should all lobby Apple technical support to fix this.

Not everyone needs the latest greatest displays and generally the older Apple Displays in my opinion are a much better aesthetic design.

If anyone has any ideas how to solve this please reach out here.

Even if there is a hack to the monitor itself.

I have looked at the HDMI to USB-c dongle that is on YouTube but as far as I can see in the comments does not work.

As far as I see also there is not HDMI out (Male) to Thunderbolt 2 cable (in to Monitor) available and technically the signals are very different.

Apple please help the environment by making these legacy displays work with your new hardware.

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 4:58 AM

The MacMini spec clearly states:

• Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
  • One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI

The limitation is hardware in the MacMini. The M1 Mini can only deliver a single video stream over the Thunderbolt interface. There are no software hacks, hardware gadgets, or magic powders that can make two Apple Thunderbolt displays work with an any base M1 or M2 Mac. You need a Mac with an M1 Pro, M1 Max, or M1 Ultra to go beyond this limitation.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 4:58 AM in response to Toasteez

The MacMini spec clearly states:

• Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
  • One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI

The limitation is hardware in the MacMini. The M1 Mini can only deliver a single video stream over the Thunderbolt interface. There are no software hacks, hardware gadgets, or magic powders that can make two Apple Thunderbolt displays work with an any base M1 or M2 Mac. You need a Mac with an M1 Pro, M1 Max, or M1 Ultra to go beyond this limitation.

Jan 8, 2023 5:04 PM in response to Toasteez

Hi, Toasteez-this is a Mac user to user forum… Apple does not post/respond/reply here…,your best option would be to post at apple.com/feedback… if you have a suggestion for Apple… that being said, your m1 Mac mini supports 1 monitor out via Thunderbolt 3 and 1 out via HDMI.., I’d suggest getting a powered dock if you want to do Thunderbolt2 (x2 ) monitors

john b

Jan 9, 2023 5:21 AM in response to woodmeister50

Are you able to elaborate on the technical difference in the hardware as to where the difference is, the chips seem to support a certain number of K video which depends on the GPU size. Old monitors are 2K Max. The signal just needs to be passed through and extended across the 2 x 2K resolution of which both ports can do independently.

Dual Legacy Thunderbolt 2 Displays Not Supported on the M1 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.