Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS software allowed in the background: Magic Control Technology Corporation

What does Magic Control Technology Corporation software do in the background of my Mac, and should I allow it? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 3:03 PM

11 replies

Jan 8, 2023 5:44 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

> You installed it

Nope. Hence my query. Seems to be ancillary to something else, and I'm interrogating how necessary/legitimate it is.

> A simple Google search

Was unedifying. No known hardware from them. Hence my query.

> Perhaps you are using one of their products?

Possibly, but nothing obvious. Hence my query, in case someone has helpful insight into what they may be.

Feb 9, 2023 2:52 PM in response to gregaitch

It seems to be a USB hub that installed the software itself when plugged in.

The hub wasn't up to par and isn't used, so I've uninstalled the software.

Even if it was, I'm not crazy about hardware installing software without letting me know.

The "You installed it, or it wouldn't be there" approach is circular logic and redundant.

Jan 8, 2023 7:07 PM in response to gregaitch

gregaitch wrote:

> EtreCheck might be able to tell you
Trying to reduce unknowns on the machine, this would add another. Hence the query. Hoping someone has had experience with this particular unknown.

You can run EtreCheck vicariously. Google the mysterious developer name and add “EtreCheck”.

You’ll get results like this one: Frequent Recent Crashes - Apple Community

This indicates the file in question is likely eu.dennis-jordan.virtualdisplay.agent.plist

This might be related to this web site: http://philjordan.eu/osx-virt/

But with that signature, it seems more likely that said corporation is redistributing and resigning something related.

Perhaps that will be enough to jog your memory about what you installed.

Regardless, you should not make any changes to that new Login Items / Allow in background user interface in Ventura. If you don’t want to run the software, then uninstall it using the official uninstaller or uninstallation procedures provided by the developer. Do not use any kind of “app cleaner” or “app zapper”. Usage of such tools will sometimes corrupt your system to the point where you have to erase your hard drive and reinstall the operating system (without restoring your files, of course).

Jan 8, 2023 3:17 PM in response to gregaitch

You installed it yet you don’t know what it does? Software does not install itself you know. A simple Google search will show who that company is and what they do.

https://www.mct.com.tw/

They are a Taiwanese company that manufactures all manner of computer related products like webcams, devices to allow transfer of data between Macs and PCs, USB Docking Stations, etc. Perhaps you are using one of their products?

Jan 8, 2023 5:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Trying to reduce unknowns on the machine, this would add another. Hence the query. Hoping someone has had experience with this particular unknown.

>You installed it to do something for you

Not that I can recall. Hence the query. Seems to be ancillary to something else, and I'm interrogating how necessary/legitimate it is. Hoping someone can provide actual insight as to what it is/does.

Jan 8, 2023 6:05 PM in response to gregaitch

I'm seeking knowledgable answers, rather than suggestions to Google it (I have: unedifying), or circular logic that because it is there, I installed it and it is therefor useful, legitimate and in my best interests.

I get that amenity comes with risk/cost; I'm evaluating the amenity that an unfamiliar process apparently supports. eg Is it a driver for a peripheral and by which company? This would help explain its presence and justify its existence.

Hoping someone has experience as to what Magic Control Technology Corporation background software is/does.

Jan 8, 2023 6:28 PM in response to gregaitch

> You installed it
Nope. Hence my query. Seems to be ancillary to something else, and I'm interrogating how necessary/legitimate it is.

Nothing magically appears on a Mac. You installed it.

It's possible you were tricked into doing so, but you still had to install it.

They have USB Video hardware. The only Mac-related USB video I know of is DisplayLink.

EtreCheck doesn't install any background processes or system modifications. It just tells you what you have installed and potential sources of problems you are looking to solve, like mysterious software you installed.

MacOS software allowed in the background: Magic Control Technology Corporation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.