Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save even edited clips not initially used in an iMovie Project

I'm editing musical performances, long videos. I am slicing up portions of the long video to be used to make a shorter promo video, short clips of various songs etc. OFTEN I will look at what I've done and want to try some alternate arranging of clips and want to even USE clips that I originally did not keep in the Timeline. BUT with iMovie 10.x (unlike my favorite old version iMovie HD 6.0.3) I see no option to SAVE the clips I chose not to use at first and removed them from my project timeline. They apparently have to be deleted I guess and they are just GONE. It's a waste to be so limited to use ONLY my first initial cuts and edits. I want to save many of these other initially rejected clips. Though not used at first I MAY want or need them to use those instead at a later updated edit of this movie, to make it better.

Q. HOW can I save these edited out clips, the initially unused ones, and put them into the Clips Browser or put them somewhere, anywhere so I can use them later if I want to or even have them saved and available for another project? That's a lot of work to just throw so much of it in the trash and have to redo all over again. Sorry for all the words but I want to be very clear on what I'm needing here. I've searched the net for this and I get every kind of answer about clips and saving etc, other than this specific one. Is it possible to do?

I can't use it anymore, BUT iMovie HD 6.0.3 routinely stored all the clips you cut in any project into a bin of some kind and made it super easy to locate and get them back to rearrange a project if you wanted to. Now it seems that user friendliness is gone. Or is it? Thanks, if you can set me on course.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 9:39 AM

Create an Event by clicking on the Library name in the side bar and doing File/New Event. Give it some appropriate name like Clip Archive. Drag your unused clips from the media browser into the Clip Archive Event that you created for the purpose. Store them there and the clips will be available to be dragged into any present or future projects in which you want to use them. Even easier is to initially import the clips into an event when you do your initial import of your media into iMovie.

Clips dragged into an Event will not retain their edits. They will store as the original unedited clip. To store edited clips create an archive project and Copy/Paste the edited clips into it. The edits will carry over. Store them there like an archive library and then you can Copy/Paste them from the archive project to other projects. Again, the edits will carry over.

iMovie uses non-destructive editing. No clips that you work with in iMovie are the original media. The clips that you see are only editing thumbnails that refer to the original clips in the Original Media folders in the iMovie library. So, when you trim a clip or delete it from the timeline, the clip thumbnail still remains in the project media in its original unedited form, and it refers to the Original clip in the iMovie ibrary. That enables you to undo the trim or reinsert the deleted clip back into the project if you change your mind.

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that will explain, step by step, how to use the features of iMovie. It has a great search feature where you can search by search word or topic.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 9:39 AM in response to clicchi

Create an Event by clicking on the Library name in the side bar and doing File/New Event. Give it some appropriate name like Clip Archive. Drag your unused clips from the media browser into the Clip Archive Event that you created for the purpose. Store them there and the clips will be available to be dragged into any present or future projects in which you want to use them. Even easier is to initially import the clips into an event when you do your initial import of your media into iMovie.

Clips dragged into an Event will not retain their edits. They will store as the original unedited clip. To store edited clips create an archive project and Copy/Paste the edited clips into it. The edits will carry over. Store them there like an archive library and then you can Copy/Paste them from the archive project to other projects. Again, the edits will carry over.

iMovie uses non-destructive editing. No clips that you work with in iMovie are the original media. The clips that you see are only editing thumbnails that refer to the original clips in the Original Media folders in the iMovie library. So, when you trim a clip or delete it from the timeline, the clip thumbnail still remains in the project media in its original unedited form, and it refers to the Original clip in the iMovie ibrary. That enables you to undo the trim or reinsert the deleted clip back into the project if you change your mind.

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that will explain, step by step, how to use the features of iMovie. It has a great search feature where you can search by search word or topic.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

Jan 9, 2023 2:18 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks a lot Rich! What I'm going to try is ... after I've edited the clips in the Timeline of the band promo project, try copying these clips and pasting them into a newly created archive project edits and all, pasted into the new project's Timeline, but I'm assuming it won't work trying to paste them into the archive project's Media Browser. That's what I've gleaned from your welcome post. I'll try it! I'd like to still use iMovie as hampered as it's become it is one that I've become familiar with. I downloaded kdenlive, Openshot, Hitfilm, DaVice Resolve, avidmux, Filmora9 and Lightworks free versions. Each time I try a new program the learning curve sets me pretty far back, so trying to make iMovie work for me.

P.S. I have an old G5 I've saved to be able to use for legacy software (iMovie HD 6.0.3) really as a pseudo old school video editing computer. Maybe in theory, but the thing has a dreaded error that I've tried to solve with little success, locks it up part way through a project, and the fans ramp up extremely fast. Off subject but it's one thing or another wherever I turn to work with what I have and not just buy $10,000 of new stuff. The G5 looks really sharp though, Lol.

Jan 9, 2023 3:08 PM in response to clicchi

Yes, you need to import the edited clip into the timeline of the archive project. That will preserve the edits. The original unedited version will appear in the browser, like with any other project.

Another way to preserve the edits is to export the edited clip. The edits will be embedded into the exported clip. Harder to change them, though. And any trimmed portions would be lost.

Yes, iMovie 6.0.3 is a classic. I have it on my old G5. I’ve heard good things about Da Vinci as well, although it requires Catalina or later.

— Rich

Save even edited clips not initially used in an iMovie Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.