Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Apple ID Settings erupts iCloud Drive erraticism.

Hello.

This is not a repeat post, but is NEW data relative my last post, which renders the problem more serious & complicated. I have tried to present the data completely without being repetitive.

This all began because two (2) days back in System Settings I received this notice:

& since then I have been running down the rabbit-hole chasing a solution the eludes me. I can find NOTHING online that addresses this. I do not even understand what Update Apple ID wanted addressed . . .

[I do have 'png' screenshots of all this data verifying what I submit below about iCloud Drive behaving erratically; & of what iCloud Drive changes to have turned ON — being more erratic & unstable. However, uploading those screenshots seems to reveal personal data, which is impermissible. Please take my word as true & correct, devoid of those particular images. Thank you.]

In response to what I discovered about iCloud Drive being ON, when I thought it had never been — subsequent to a bewildering investigation as to what Apple ID wanted addressed in "settings" I have this to convey, which indicates iCloud Drive to be evidencing erratic & uncontrollable "behaviour".

1.)

I tried to turn off iCloud Drive & I cannot. I can turn the button to "off" — & log out of System Settings, but when I log back in to System Settings, again — OR — if/when I reboot: iCloud Drive is back ON, again, with spuriously selected items (I never chose) turned ON in iCloud, — though not every item in its "list".

2.)

Subsequent to numerous attempts of the above (#1) always followed by a reboot — my latest "trick" was to turn iCloud Drive off, but to not reboot (as reboot has seemed to be the trigger for a reset of iCloud Drive to turn ON, again, with the former selected items turned BACK ON, as well).

BUT ! ! ! ——— iCloud Drive, consequently, selected NEW & OTHER items to be turned "ON", which had not previously been "on" or "selected".

3.)

Lastly, just iror to this post, I turned iCloud Drive OFF, did another (of many) reboot(s), — & iCloud Drive was ON, again, with the former (if less egregious/invasive) spuriously selected items turned BACK ON. (& not the changed/erratic selections, which occurred when I left the machine on after only signing out of Apple ID w/o a reboot.)

MORE RELATIVE & IMPORTANT DATA:

4.)

Online, at icloud[dot]com there is used for my account ONLY 891.3 KB of iCloud Storage. NOTHING OF MY MACHINE IS ONLINE AT I-CLOUD. [I do not want to & have never used it, but I am prevented from consummately disabling iCloud Drive, which for me has become ineluctable — & must be accomplished.]

I am wholly unable to turn iCloud Drive OFF, which, heretofore, I thought was disabled — & IF BY ANY EVIDENCE OF what ever is "stored" online — in a mere 891.3 KB of space — I have not used it, but by the very details above: iCloud Drive acts irregularly & unstably — & cannot be disabled — nor can I permanently disable what it randomly selects to have on for iCloud.

5.)

In the section of System Settings where a list indicates "Apps that Store Data & Documents in iCloud": are selected a number of programs, which I did never choose so to be stored in iCloud. I have deselected these numerous times, as well, — & they all turn back on — the same.

Lastly, to add more oddity to the issue:

6.)

FINDER says iCloud Drive is not ON:

Thank you to any one who has plausible solutions to this most vagrant & irregular problem.

Very sincerely,

—R. B.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 11:04 AM

Issue Closed, but HARDLY resolved.

I have discovered through an exhausting research — (being one who DOES NOT remain "Signed-in" to Apple ID perpetually, but only as needed signs in; & being one who, only somehow, unwittingly "Activated" iCloud)fortuitously & gratefully, in part, through speaking directly with Apple — that the ONLY way to disable iCloud services is precisely that: TO REMAINED SIGNED OUT OF APPLE ID!

Never mind that one can (while Signed-in to Apple ID; in & out of Reboot/s), "select some, or de-select all items iCloud has ACTIVE" — or that, whilst always remaining Signed-in to Apple ID — one can disable iCloud & "TURN-IT-OFF" . . . . . BECAUSE:

System Settings STORAGE for iCloud has INELUCTABLY reserved itself to access & upload:

• Desktop & Documents
  • Photos
Which a user is incapable of disabling, — & CANNOT DESELECT! "Desktop & Documents", & "Photos" (in System Settings STORAGE) remain actively chosen even when one has Signed-out Apple ID.

Consequently, the only way to prevent iCloud from actively retrieving data from one's MBP (if one is in that minority) is to remained Signed-OUT of Apple ID. That is, apparently, the means & the method by which I have retained Keychains, Photos, Documents, & whatnot — exclusively to my HD & my Time Machine B/U to the point that "Your iCloud Drive is empty."

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 11:04 AM in response to RobertJBoren

Issue Closed, but HARDLY resolved.

I have discovered through an exhausting research — (being one who DOES NOT remain "Signed-in" to Apple ID perpetually, but only as needed signs in; & being one who, only somehow, unwittingly "Activated" iCloud)fortuitously & gratefully, in part, through speaking directly with Apple — that the ONLY way to disable iCloud services is precisely that: TO REMAINED SIGNED OUT OF APPLE ID!

Never mind that one can (while Signed-in to Apple ID; in & out of Reboot/s), "select some, or de-select all items iCloud has ACTIVE" — or that, whilst always remaining Signed-in to Apple ID — one can disable iCloud & "TURN-IT-OFF" . . . . . BECAUSE:

System Settings STORAGE for iCloud has INELUCTABLY reserved itself to access & upload:

• Desktop & Documents
  • Photos
Which a user is incapable of disabling, — & CANNOT DESELECT! "Desktop & Documents", & "Photos" (in System Settings STORAGE) remain actively chosen even when one has Signed-out Apple ID.

Consequently, the only way to prevent iCloud from actively retrieving data from one's MBP (if one is in that minority) is to remained Signed-OUT of Apple ID. That is, apparently, the means & the method by which I have retained Keychains, Photos, Documents, & whatnot — exclusively to my HD & my Time Machine B/U to the point that "Your iCloud Drive is empty."

Update Apple ID Settings erupts iCloud Drive erraticism.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.