You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeps spinning when checking for updates

My iMac says I have an update but it just keeps spinning and spinning and no update shows up. I’m running Catalina, so I know j need to update it.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 8:56 PM

leannegsc Said:

"Keeps spinning when checking for updates: My iMac says I have an update but it just keeps spinning and spinning and no update shows up. I’m running Catalina, so I know j need to update it."

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Updating a Mac with a Spinning Wheel:

Two Thoughts:

• New Admin User:

Create a temporary Administrator User, and see if you can perform the update that way. If that does not work...

• Safe Mode:

Try this in Safe Mode [boot holding down: command + R]. In Safe Mode, log in items do not run, and damaged system files(caches) may be fixed.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2023 8:56 PM in response to leannegsc

leannegsc Said:

"Keeps spinning when checking for updates: My iMac says I have an update but it just keeps spinning and spinning and no update shows up. I’m running Catalina, so I know j need to update it."

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Updating a Mac with a Spinning Wheel:

Two Thoughts:

• New Admin User:

Create a temporary Administrator User, and see if you can perform the update that way. If that does not work...

• Safe Mode:

Try this in Safe Mode [boot holding down: command + R]. In Safe Mode, log in items do not run, and damaged system files(caches) may be fixed.

Keeps spinning when checking for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.